19

Davis' High field was packed with knots of giddy graduating seniors mingling amongst one another. There was much to relive as soon they would all bid farewell to their glory days and face a much rather difficult task – college. Nobody could just seem to keep still. Mrs. Ferguson could only wish she had super glue with her so she could easily use them to keep the students on their designated chairs. But she understood the excitement of course. In a week they would officially leave the premises of Davis' High. Some would stay in town, get jobs, go to community colleges, others would leave the city and go far far away to pursue their dreams.

It was just at this moment that Taylor realized high school had been a great blur for her. For the most part she didn't get to have as much fun as her fellow future graduates. Nor did she get as much experience or whatever it was highschoolers wished to achieve the moment they step foot into the institution.

Although Taylor did learn a couple of things along the way. For instance, she learned the difference between infatuation and love. Earlier on she had been declaring to be in love with Romee, someone she had barely spoken to and just watched along the sidelines, behind the lens of her camera and scribbles on notebooks. How could she love someone she had barely known? For the most part, she felt as if she had only been and seen fragments of the blonde. It couldn't compare to the entirety of her own being – the one Taylor has grown to love and be in love with her genuine heart, honest soul, and curious mind.

The hardest thing Taylor had to learn was that love is not a walk in a park, consequently getting into it would hurt like a bitch. She had to learn the hard way.

While graduation was only next week, the brunette didn't know how to feel about it just yet. A side of her was of course relieved to be leaving high school but she also knew that meant leaving everyone else too. Her friends would be sprawled out across the globe and who knew when the next time they were seeing one another was going to be?

4, 676 miles.

That's how far away Romee and Taylor would be after graduation and although technology has paved the way for long distance communications the brunette was still certain there would be difficulties with time zones and schedules and priorities like boyfriends.

Taylor snaps out of her thoughts when she feels a pair of warm hands envelop her eyes. "Hmm, Jas?" She guesses feigning innocence. She already knew who it was, the scent was all too familiar. Romee smelt like a flower field on a good summer day, blossoms and vanilla.

Taylor's head is swayed to the sides, an indication of no. "Really? My answer's still Jasmine," by now the brunette wore a smug smirk knowing the distasteful look Romee would be sporting by now. "Jasmine, final answer."

"You're a great guesser, turns out I'm actually Jasmine. Congratulations," Romee replies flatly as she turns around the chairs to sit on the unoccupied one beside the younger girl. Taylor tries to stifle her laughter but it ends miserably in fits of giggles. "You're an actual child Monroe."

"What can I say? Jasmine's my favorite."

"I wasn't aware we were picking favorites?" the blonde raises her eyebrows in amusement. Taylor only shrugs in response.

"It's not some unspoken rule, to have favorites," Taylor reasons out crossing her legs to make her look more credible in any way. "Jas is just my favorite from the bunch, naturally."

"Naturally? What does that even mean?" Taylor gives her a pointed look and Romee smiles sarcastically back at her. "Well you're my favorite Taylor Monroe, naturally. Whatever that means." She mutters softly, pressing her lips together in an effort to suppress the smile.

Taylor looks down attempting to hide the blush that's made its way to her face, not that Romee was looking but still. "I'm sorry I couldn't say the same," Taylor lets out and matches the blonde's fake stern look. "If it makes you feel any better you reign the third spot."

"Huh. That's interesting, who's the second?"

"Your boyfriend." Taylor deadpans.

Romee clicks her tongue in feign disappointment and hurt, "Looks like I've got to get rid of the boyfriend, don't you think?"

"And Jas."

"Ah yes, and Jasmine. Good call."

Taylor clears her throat and turns to Romee with a timid smile, "Excited to graduate?"

Romee turns to look back at her with sad eyes, she shakes her head no. "I might be the only student in Davis' who doesn't want to graduate."

"Hey, it'll be okay." Taylor tries to reassure her, although she wasn't quite sure if she was trying to comfort the blonde or herself. "You'll be closer to your mother then, I'm sure it's difficult to live so far away from your family."

"You're my family too."

"Romee," Taylor says in a warning tone. "You know what I meant."

"I know, it's just difficult to up and leave everything behind." She covers her face and groans frustrated. "I remember not liking it here in America when I was younger. I was a kid, and the people around me didn't speak Dutch like I did. And I barely knew the English language. I had to learn a lot and I've brought that up with me to this day, and to come back to my motherland seems pretty off to me, it's been years. I don't know if I consider it home still."

There was nothing Taylor could say, she didn't share the same experience nor did she have some insights about Romee's dilemma. So she put her undivided attention on the blonde and just listened. Sometimes it was better like that, to just lend your ear and listen to someone vent because really we don't and we shouldn't listen with the intent to first respond.

"Enough of this sappy talk," Romee laughs and rests her hand on the younger girl's thigh. "So I was thinking about heading to the cabin on Thursday, try out the paddle boat one last time. You could come if you want?"

"And miss general rehearsals?" Taylor asks incredulously. She's never been absent for commencement exercises and graduation week before, not that they were really of importance. They just sat and waited for their names to be called out at least twice a day. "Well I'd have to do my research and check the crocodile incidents over at yours. Maybe anacondas as well, just to be sure."

"For sure, you do that and let me know," the blonde smiles warmheartedly. It would be nice to be out of the city for a little while, just the two of them. "But if it makes you feel any better I'm about a hundred percent sure there aren't any crocodiles, nor anacondas in the lake. It's private property." she winks.

"That's too unfortunate now isn't it? Could you imagine the headlines? Two seniors mauled to death by lake monsters days before graduation."

Romee gives her a look and makes an action to stand, "Okay? I'm pretending that never came out of your mouth and head over to my seat. Ferguson is shooting daggers my way." She rests her hand around the back of Taylor's neck before leaning in slowly to give her a quick kiss to the forehead.

Taylor had to remind herself to breathe the entire time. At the same time, she couldn't contain the smile from her face. It was the little things Romee did that made her so annoyingly happy and giddy like a 6th grade boy going on his first date.