1 4

Chapter 14: La Connasse

  The start of the school week had Avery's head in a frenzy. So many things had changed and she felt anxious as she walked down the hallway to her locker. She had to avoid Sam who, like Alex and the others, was popular and it proved not to be an easy feat. Plus, she and Alex had recently kissed and Avery had no idea where it left them in regards to their friendship, but she knew she still had to keep it a secret from Carson who had now become increasingly overprotective.

Maybe she was being irrational, keeping it from him? She wished nothing more than to gush to her best friend about her first kiss but found herself unable to and it was her own fault. What had started out to be simply an omission of information had now become a web of lies and fabricated stories including the events from the weekend. One might recall that Avery was not the best at planning things out and frankly, the fact came to bite her in the ass.

"Hey," a voice sounded next to Avery's ear. Avery reluctantly looked over, anticipating it to be one of the many people she was trying to avoid. She figured that maybe if she just evaded Sam, Kaden, Jason, Alex and Carson everything would be okay...temporarily. She let out an audible sigh of relief when she saw that the person walking next to her was only Marigold.

"Hey."

"I just wanted to thank you for talking to Carson," Marigold smiled warmly at the freckled girl. When she took notice of her confused expression, she elaborated, "Carson asked me out over the weekend. I've liked him for a while now and I know that he wouldn't have made a move without asking for your blessing. So, thank you."

  "Oh," Avery replied simply as she stopped in front of her locker, causing the redhead to do the same. "I think you guys would be good for each other," she added with a shaky smile, trying to push away the negative thoughts that came forth as she said those words. Her subconscious was trying to remind her that when Carson finds out she's been lying to him, Marigold will be her replacement. She could only attempt to postpone that future as far as possible.

The athletic redhead placed a hand on her shoulder, evoking a startled jump from the freckled girl. If Marigold had noticed her strange reaction, she didn't show it as her face turned serious, "I just want you to know that I don't hold it against you, the way you treated me. I understand that you're just looking out for your best friend."

  Avery frowned. Maybe she was just paranoid because of what's happening in her life, but Marigold's words seemed almost accusatory. Like she did hold it against her. If she hadn't then she wouldn't have brought it up, right?

  She plastered on a smile. "Carson and I always have each other's back. It's what we do."

Marigold patted the shoulder that her hand still rested on and smiled brightly once more, "I've gotta go. I'll see you at lunch."

  After she waved goodbye to Marigold, Avery quickly put the books she needed into her backpack and closed her locker once she remembered that Carson was her locker neighbour. It would explain why Marigold knew where to find her. The redhead's locker was nowhere close to that area and she had never shown any real interest in Avery anyway. That was most likely the freckled girl's own fault. Not only did she screw up her chances with her current best friend, but she screwed up her chance at making a new one too.

  Avery pulled her sweater's hoodie over her head and drew its drawstrings, tightening it around her face. She just wanted to disappear at the moment. She had become less and less of a wallflower lately and wished she could just revert to the way her life was before. Everything was so complicated now. Before, the most she had to worry about was homework, whether her mom was baking cookies, whether she brought her umbrella with her as to not get caught in the rain and avoiding anxiety attacks. She wasn't built for drama.