Chapter Nine.

The next day when Ty went to the diner for breakfast he again stopped at the case of desserts and this time purchased chocolate cupcakes with pink icing and purple star sprinkles.

He drove to the house and this time when he parked out front the girls were in the yard, they were playing with barbies on the uneven, cracked sidewalk and when they saw him they stood, dropping their dolls to the ground.

"Hello girls," He said, pushing through the gate.

Julie took a timid step closer to him but didn't speak.

"I brought you two some sweets, anyone like chocolate cake?"

Janey hurried away from her sister and stopped just a few feet short of Ty, staring at the box, clearly interested.

"Here," He knelt down and outstretched his hand with the box of treats.

Janey took another step closer and Ty flipped open the lid on the box, hoping seeing the treats would bribe them closer.

Julie scurried up next to her sister and peered into the box, timidly she reached out and lifted one cupcake from the box, her eyes not leaving Ty. Once she held the cupcake tightly in her hand she scurried back a few steps.

"Thank you," She said in a small voice.

Janey copied her sisters lead, grabbing a cupcake as well before backing away.

Ty stood, closing the box, they could finish the rest after dinner.

"You know if I'm going to be bringing by treats every day I think you two could at least help me by painting the new fence."

The girls eyed him over their cupcakes, Janey was licking off her icing while Julie peeled away the paper.

"Think you could manage to slap on some paint? I'll pay you in sweets."

"I like painting," Janey said in a quiet voice.

"You do? Oh, that's good. I can't paint and I was worried I wouldn't be able to find anyone."

"We'll paint," Julie said excitedly.

"Great I'll get the paint and brushes and you guys can get started on the fence that's already done."

The girls had finished their cupcakes when Ty returned with all the painting supplies they needed and after helping them pour paint into smaller more manageable jars he went to work repairing the fence while they began painting.

*****************************************************************

Chris walked into his living room where Zoey and Hannah were seated on the couch, sharing a blanket and a bowl of popcorn, the latest Disney movie on his large flatscreen.

"Daddy! you're home early!" Hannah pointed out.

"Yeah, I have a date tonight, remember? We talked about it...I wanted to spend some time with my favorite girl before I leave."

"Will the station be okay without you?" Zoey asked.

"I'm sure they can manage."

He leaned over the back of the couch to place a soft kiss on top of Hannahs' head, running a hand through her long blonde hair.

"What time are you leaving?" Zoey asked looking back at him.

"Around six thirty, I'm picking Claire up at seven."

Zoey glanced at her watch while eating some popcorn before pushing the blanket off herself.

"I'll make you something to hold you over until you leave."

She disappeared into the kitchen and he loosened his tie before taking a seat next to Hannah, stealing the bowl of popcorn from her lap.

"Daddy?"

"Hmm?"

"Can me and Zoey come on your date?"

"Not this time Princess, maybe next time. Okay?"

"Did you and mommy go on a lot of dates?"

"Yeah, we did sweetie."

She smiled at him then turned her attention to the television, he watched her for a long minute then grabbing the remote he paused the movie.

"Listen, Hannah. If this is a problem, if this upsets you or bothers you...you just need to tell me, okay? You are the most important person in the world to me."

She seemed to think long and hard about it then she shrugged.

"I'm okay Daddy."

"I'm always going to love your mommy, but...sometimes Daddies just get lonely." He said.

"Okay, Daddy."

Zoey returned with two plates of sandwiches, handing one to Hannah with a promise to return with some juice. The other plate she handed to Chris. His sandwiches looked identical to Hannahs and were cut into tiny stars.

When Zoey returned with her own sandwich, a full sized one and Hannahs drink he lifted a tiny star.

"Sorry...habit." She said with a laugh, switching him plates.

"When do I get to go on dates?" Hannah asked.

"Don't talk with your mouth full," Zoey scolded softly.

"Not for a very very very long time," Chris said.

"Can I stay up until you get home tonight?" Hannah asked.

"Uhm...yeah, sure."

He didn't plan to be out late anyway, a simple dinner, maybe a few drinks then home.

"What are you planning on wearing?" Zoey asked.

"I don't know a suit maybe the red tie."

"No, not red. wear a blue tie. It brings out your eyes."

He rolled his eyes but gave a nod of agreement, there wasn't a point in arguing Zoey knew his closet as well as he did.

After his lunch with Hannah and Zoey he made some phone calls in his office, then it was time shower and get dressed for his date with Claire.

He came down the stairs to see Zoey and Hannah in the kitchen, some kind of cookie dough rolled out on the marble counter and Hannah balancing on a stool wielding several shaped cookie cutters.

"Looking sharp boss," Zoey said.

"Thanks."

"You look, handsome Daddy!" Hannah praised.

"Thanks, Princess."

"Have a nice time and don't worry about us here," Zoey said.

He walked to the door and after ruffling Hannahs' hair Zoey followed him, watching him pull on his shoes and jacket.

"Believe me Zo, you and Hannah are the only thing I'm not worried about. I at least know she's in great hands."

"Nervous?" She asked.

"Yeah, a little. It's been years since I've gone out with a woman."

"Just be yourself, I'm sure it will go fine."

"I won't be late," He promised.

"Just go, have fun be a normal human being for once. We'll be fine."

She gave him a playful shove towards the door and after taking a deep breath he exited the house. Zoey stood in the empty entryway for a long minute then she locked the front door and returned to the kitchen.