nineteen

"Aww," Lana coos as Lucas and I take our usual lunch seats across from her, holding hands on the walk to the table

"Aww," Lana coos as Lucas and I take our usual lunch seats across from her, holding hands on the walk to the table. "You guys are so cute."

I wince discreetly at the comment. I know Lana's just trying to be nice, but she unintentionally just reminded me that I'm not actually into the guy I'm dating. I'm into his cousin, a fact that it's about time I just accept. At this point, the only reason I'm still with Lucas is because I don't have the balls to break up with him. I'm too nice to intentionally hurt him.

Lucas's hand rests on the small of my back as we sit next to each other, rotating in small circles. My skin burns where his touch is, only making me feel more guilty. I subtly lean away from him so that his hand will slip, unable to stand the way my skin burns any longer.

"Who's ready for the football game next Friday?" Lana asks excitedly, blue eyes shining brightly. She meets my gaze and raises her eyebrows, shooting me a knowing smirk. I roll my eyes, trying not to burst into a grin at my friend's teasing.

"I know who," Lucas jokes, poking my side as he gives me a small smile.

"What? My dad's the coach. Of course I'm excited." I know it's not really an excuse for me to go with the whole my dad's the coach thing. What else can I really say, though? Yeah, I'm excited for the game so that I can watch the guy I'm high-key crushing on play. Definitely not.

I can't help wishing that my mom were here. She would know what to do if she were in my position. It's not like I can talk to my dad about my boy troubles. After all, he's a boy himself. They don't know anything.

Throughout the rest of the lunch period, Lucas and Lana get into a heated debate about milk flavors, and I slowly begin to tune them out. There's only so much milk talk a girl can handle, anyway.

I drop my phone, and, rolling my eyes, I turn to pick it up. As I'm pulling myself back to a seated position, I notice Jack (who else?) across the room. He's sitting at his usual table with his football buddies, Lacey draped over him like she's trying to force his attention on her. As if he knows I'm looking at him, Jack's light green gaze meets mine almost immediately.

I'm expecting him to look away. I mean, Lacey's sitting right next to him. For all of her bad qualities, I can't deny that Lacey is beautiful. Still, I can feel Jack's gaze trailing my body before meeting mine again, making my heart pound. What is it about this boy that won't stop driving me crazy, despite how much I tell myself not to let him get to me?

Lacey must notice Jack staring, too. She grabs his face in her hands, pulling him toward her. Practically straddling him, Lacey kisses Jack hard on the lips, taking all of his attention within a second. I turn away from the unsettling sight, feeling the sudden urge to throw up my lunch.

From somewhere deep inside of me, I feel jealously rising to my surface. I can't help it when I'm at a place where even I can no longer deny that I like Jack. He's the only person I've ever trusted with my secrets; the only person who has ever made me feel so comfortable and yet reckless all at once, the perfect combination. Lacey's a lucky girl, a bitter voice whispers in my mind, one that I can't help but listen to.