9. ** Confrontation **

There was no delay in our embarkation to Wall Sina, where I was to meet Captain Levi at the Royal Capitol. Why was he there anyway? The Survey Corps were supposed to have left for a new expedition through Trost, but must have been caught up in the reappearance of the Colossal Titian. Thilo, one of the soldiers who was accompanying me, was able to fill me in a little more as we rode toward the Capitol.

"Now that there are fewer ears around, I can confirm that the rumors are true about Trost falling to the Colossal Titan's reappearance. Squad Levi and the rest of the Survey Corps were able to rendezvous at Trost after the wall breach, but what isn't clear is how the wall was apparently retaken with the help of a titan..."

"Wait- what??"

"That's what I was told. What's more is that one of the new recruits was supposedly involved in its appearance. He was allegedly pulled from the nape of the titan... alive."

"I don't understand... you're saying there could be humans inside of titans? That doesn't make any sense...! And why does of all of this involve me going to the Capitol?"

"I'm sorry, (F/N), I wish I could answer that. We were just instructed to escort you, Captain's orders. But if I may speak on my own behalf, it seemed like the Captain was concerned for your safety."

I was finding it extremely difficult to process everything, already severely overwhelmed by my anxiety of going deeper inside the walls. Had Levi known anything about my past, he would have never given such an order.

****************************************

We arrived at our destination later the next day. Everyone seemed to be on edge from recent events, and I could feel the atmosphere becoming more intense. Edmund, the second soldier to accompany me, remained with our horses as Thilo walked me down a short, ornate hallway. Those who resided inside Sina lived in such luxury compared to everyone else. It had always frustrated me to know that people were dying of starvation.while citizens of the Capitol complained about the most frivolous things.

Thilo stopped in front of a large cedar door, a glowing light flickering through the cracks. He knocked in what seemed to be code before I heard footsteps approach, as a familiar face greeted us.

"(F/N), please, come in," smiled Commander Erwin.

Thilo stood at attention and saluted, before turning to leave. I entered to find Levi casually sitting at a table in the center of the room, one leg crossed over the other, leaning back in his chair. He glanced toward me, sipping his tea in the strange way he did, before motioning for me to join him. I followed Erwin back to the table and took a seat apprehensively. Levi seemed to notice how timid I had become, but decided not to immediately address it.

"(F/N), I am sure you are wondering why we called you here on such short notice. Captain Levi felt it was necessary for you rejoin him and the rest of your Squad, due to recent events. Although you must be weary from travel, it is impertinent that we bring you up to speed."

I shifted my gaze to Levi, who had yet to speak. However, his eyes told me all I needed to know. He was visibly concerned over something, but seemed less tense knowing I was there.

The report on The Battle at Trost lasted long into the evening. I was informed that Eren Yeager, one of the newest recruits to join the Survey Corps, had somehow transformed into a giant titan, and proceeded to slaughter many other titans in a fit of rage. Levi spoke of his involvement with Eren on an unexpectedly positive note, emphasizing how, even after briefly losing control, Eren's titan was able to close off Trost's outer gate by sealing the breach with a huge boulder. I wasn't sure how to respond to such an insane situation, so I mainly just sat in silence.