24. "school isn't for me"

I buttoned up the first three buttons on Sawyer's red flannel, knowing his eyes are observing me thoroughly. He moves one arm behind his head to support his neck. The blinds were open allowing the 9:00 am sunlight to hit the grey sheets and warm the bed Sawyer was currently occupying.

"I just realized. I don't think I've ever taken you out on a proper date."

"No Sawyer you don't have to." I stand by the bed, untangling my hair from the bun I had it in. "Just say yes." He reaches over to touch my free hand.

It's been almost a month since the crash and he's still recovering.

I took a break off from school and I've been staying with my dad, who's been extremely supportive.

"I'll pick you up tonight at seven." His cheerful eyes glance up at me. "Dress up," he adds a quick wink.

I cherish these moments with him now more than ever. I've been taking care of him and I guess I haven't given him a chance to stand on his own two feet yet. He tells me how good it is to feel needed. I know now that I need him more than ever and he needs to do this.

~

There's really no place like home, I think to myself as I pull out an old black dress. I practically packed my whole closet when I came over to my dad's, which was chock-full of timeless pieces like these.

It's weird thinking back to almost a year from now, Camille basically had to force me to dress up like this and go out to a party. I really never thought I'd get to experience love like this, like in the movies. It's a feeling you can't explain but you just know it's there.

I slide on the dress and brush my hair, maybe a little too roughly. I let the straight long locks of faded blue hair fall on my shoulders naturally.

He picks me up from my dad's house. I feel like a teenager again, with no real obligations or responsibilities. No pressure of the real world pressing on my shoulders, just him and I standing in my doorway.

He's still recovering so he's got to wear his cast for a couple more weeks. But nothing takes away from his clean, proper and mesmerizing appearance. My attention is brought to his dazzling black collared shirt, with the sleeves properly rolled up.

He opens the car door for me and I comply with his formal act of chivalry. I get the same butterflies as if it was our first date.

Dinner runs its course and he insists to pay for something expensive, though I press him not to, with all the stacking bills he still has to pay. From one dimly-lit location to another, we move back to his car.

The evening just flows as we go for a drive to a nearby cinema. Time moves in frames for me, as if I'm in a movie and the surroundings are tinted red. It's a small theatre, quaint yet sophisticated where they play a re-run of St. Elmo's Fire.

At the risk of sounding too blunt, I decide to speak my mind. "You know, you don't have to take me out on these fancy date nights. I appreciate it and I loved tonight, it was amazing, but I'm eternally content with laying in your bed in your apartment and counting the stars on the ceiling. Anything as long as I'm with you."

He smiles, taking both of my hands in his and kisses my forehead. "I know Holly, but I really wanted to do this. See, my dad taught me chivalry and common etiquette when I was very young—he took pride in it. I've been thinking about him a lot lately."

I remember seeing the photo of his dad in Sawyer's house. I realize how much he needs this.

"Plus, you deserve to be treated like a princess."

I kiss him. His face; he's properly beautiful. It's almost crazy just how attractive he is, his chiseled jawline and perfectly arched brows. If only I could capture his beauty.

"Art." An obvious thought pops into my mind and spreads like a wildfire.

He furrows his brows slightly and paints an amused look on his face. "It's what I wanna do." I announce.

"Well you're not in school right now, you can figure it out. You've got time." He's so quick to comfort me.

I think back to what Anthony said to me on the bathroom floor that day. Both him and Sawyer made me realize something huge. Suddenly it was clearer than ever.

"I gotta do something."

~

I burst through those dorm building doors quicker than I have before. I feel so much joy and excitement inside of me. I've almost forgotten what this feels like. I feel like I might be on to something—like I might have a purpose.

I always used to wonder if everything happens for a reason, now I know.

I open the door to my room, and I've never been more happy to be greeted with the sight of Cam and Parker sitting on her bed together. She stands immediately when she sees me.

She goes in for a tight hug and I stumble back from the sheer force of her running into me. "I'm so glad you're okay. Are finally coming back?"

God, I missed her. "Cam, that's the thing, I don't think I am coming back."

At first, she's extremely confused but then it's almost like she can read my mind. After all, she knows me better than anyone else. "School isn't for me."

"What are your parents going to say, especially your mom?" Her support takes me by surprise, considering just what an awful best friend I've been these past few months. If I were her I wouldv'e slammed the door in my face a long time ago.

"I'll cross that bridge when I get to it."

Right now all that matters is, I know what I have to do. And I'm ready.

Next update: Around Feb 28

I can't apologize enough for my late uploads, I really want to get back to a regular updating schedule and I'm working on it. After this book I will be working on I Hate You, and I am very excited to get back to writing. Thank you all for your support you are amazing.

Follow my brand new Instagram page for updates and to keep up with my works. I will be posting polls where you can vote on decisions regarding my books or uploading days. Thank you!

Instagram: @brocklover69