25 | die in your arms

The car zoomed towards the Plaza Hotel. The black-suited person jumped back slightly in shock, turning their head as they did so. No face was visible but the tiny wisps of curled chocolate hair came into view. And both Kylie and Leon only had one word on their lips as his body was flung over the car hood.

Elijah. Elijah. Elijah.

Seconds seemed to blur into hours as Leon and Kylie remained seated in the car, the body no longer in view as the car had driven uncontrollably fast, leaving the body located somewhere behind the car's rear.

Kylie could feel the tiny spits of perspiration forming on her skin leaving her hands clammy to the touch. She refused to turn to face Leon but also she refused to get out of the car too, for she didn't wish to confirm what she already thought to be true.

Only a few people had witnessed the dreadful accident, and those who were there had rushed to the crime scene whereas those who were dancing the night away in the hall remained completely oblivious to the fatal events that had occurred.

Kylie could've sworn that someone else was in the car with them – their breathing erratic and unnatural. But it only took her mere seconds to realise this was her, hyperventilating.

Her heart hammered away in her chest as though it were ready to implode within her, finally giving her the release she craved. Her surroundings began spinning around her and she felt the urge to rid herself of the dinner she'd eaten only an hour or so ago.

An invisible force wrapped itself around her neck, strangling her and denying her right to oxygen.

It's my fault, it's all my fault, she screamed to herself internally.

Kylie was no stranger to panic attacks but it'd been years since she'd last experienced one – back when she'd been seventeen. The only person who'd ever been able to soothe her was Jax as he stroked her back, and helped her control her laboured breathing. If only he was with her now.

"Leon." She exhaled sharply, finally coming back to her senses. She glanced over to the drivers' seat to where he was.

No reaction, no response as he stared into the distance almost as though he weren't even there anymore.

"Leon...if something happens to him..." She trailed off, still gazing over at him, awaiting a response, something to soothe her like Jax would've all those years ago. Internally, she wanted to scream and kick and beg Leon to tell her that Elijah would be fine, that yes he'd have some bruises and scratches but overall he'd be completely okay.

But the reassurance never came.

"It was an accident, I never meant to..." He whimpered. A desperate child-like sound emerging from the lips of a fully grown man was unusual to Kylie, especially someone who claimed to be as manly as Leon.

She unlatched her seatbelt slowly and opened the car door. The silent tears fell as she already knew the truth that would await her once she was outside the car.

She braced herself as she turned to look over her shoulder.

A body lay face-down on the floor with two people surrounding him. It was dark and so she could barely recognise whom they were, but she could hear the urgency in a young woman's voice as he spoke to the ambulance, giving them the address and instructing them to arrive as soon as possible.

"Elijah!" She screamed as she made her way towards the body, "Elijah!" It was the cry of a lover, not the cry of the friend of the injured man's bride; there was nothing platonic about her reaction but she didn't care.

"Kylie? What's happened?"

She halted dead in her tracks. For the voice belonged him. To the man who she'd played truth and dare with when they'd been drunk, the man who she'd risked her friendship for, the man who had turned her into the monster she was today.