[1] Where Distance Begins

a/n:
Welcome to Where Hearts Lie. As a disclaimer I would like to say that hearts may break from reading this story at times. Bad Boy's Game portrayed Ellie and Archer's young relationship while Where Hearts Lie will showcase their matured relationship. Love has its highs and lows. If you want to fall in love with their characters more and see how their love changes with time, this is the sequel for you.

If you still decide to read this story after all of that, thank you and I hope you enjoy it.

For my eighteenth birthday I blew out my birthday candles with the most selfish wish in mind

Rather than wishing for a material possession, I wished for something that could not be assigned a monetary value and something that wasn't entirely tangible. My wish was selfish, hopeful, and downright cliché. Wishes that are repeated aloud are said to not come true, therefore, I kept my lips sealed despite the constant questions about this eighteenth birthday wish. While I was hardly superstitious, I desperately wanted this wish to come true and didn't want to take any chances.

All I wanted was for Archer West and I to last the distance, to be in each other's future, and to be there for one another through thick and thin. Archer was all that I could ever wish for at the age of eighteen. Year eighteen sounded like the start of real world challenges with our bi-coastal undergraduate journeys, however, I longed for distance to only make us closer. Doesn't distance makes the heart grow fonder?

On my birthday when I blew out the eighteen candles, I didn't know that I was wishing for a lot. And perhaps for too much.

While I kept my word about keeping my lips sealed, time would ultimately tell if my wish came true. With over three thousand miles between Archer and I, the odds were not in my favor. It only took a month apart for me to realize that there would be more thin times than thick. Sticking with one another through thick and thin quickly proved to be difficult because we physically could not be there for one another.

While video calls helped with the long distance relationship, video calls failed to completely alleviate the pain that comes with distance. What was once tangible was no longer tangible. I couldn't just reach out for a hug when I wanted, a date night when I needed it, or a shoulder to cry on. The Archer I came to know was pixelated, had iffy wifi connectivity, and constantly tired. Our call times typically took place during the night due to our busy schedules. We were exhausted and yet still made every attempt to share some time together.

Because Archer was taking a gap year before enrolling into a university, he was hard at work to save money for college. When he wasn't at the auto shop, he was serving at the diner. When he wasn't serving, he was at the auto shop. Archer was fully committed to paying for college himself and not putting any worry on his mother.