Sofa

Patience now.

Having your elbows on the floor was rather disgusting than pleasing at all. However, as a four-year-old, the sticky and oily sensation of having skin-contact with the floor was not even a problem; especially since you were hungry. Eyes like of eagle's while hunting its prey, you stealthily crawled on the kitchen grounds of the orphanage you were residing in; focusing at your main target—

freshly-baked bread.

The metal tables of the big kitchen were almost near you as you gritted your teeth quietly while you resisted the pain of having to crawl so slowly and patiently.

Your determined gaze averted to one of the cooks who was currently present in the kitchen; attending to other dishes. You watched his back carefully, hoping that he would not turn around anytime soon. He was humming a catchy tune that you were sure he heard from the television that was set on one of the halls of the orphanage. You would sometimes sit for television-watching when the clock strikes at three; but you did not watch often, solely because the children often present were older. Older children tend to boss around and already know each other, you were not quite fond of them.

Once your hand grasped one of the metallic table's legs, you quietly stood up on your feet. Suddenly, the humming stopped and it was dead quiet. You were confused at first; standing on your tip-toes. With the light of the sun shining through the windows, you barely saw the cook who had his eyes on you.

"You!"

Flabbergasted and meeting the man's heated gaze, you quickly took two of the freshly-baked buns of bread while quickly dashing out of the kitchen. The cook tried to catch you as you ran as fast as you could along the halls of the main building of the orphanage. The children watched you go with confused gazes; one of them talking about telling the care-taker.

"Come back here!"

Looking back and plastering a teasing smile, you laughed at his infuriated demeanor while you quickly ran through all the children; going for the open doors of the main building and to the dormitory compounds.

"You brat!" the cook exclaimed at you, while catching his breath and holding into the doorframe.

Laughing victoriously with the look of satisfaction plastered on your face, you cradled the two buns of bread to your chest as you scurried behind the Girls' Dormitory building and into your usual hangout place.

Suddenly, you halted on your tracks. Catching your breath and holding your bread-buns closer to you, your face contorted to a look of confusion and disgruntlement.

On your usual hangout place, the old sofa from the main-building that was discarded behind the building of the girls' dormitories, seated a boy that had his knees up to his chest and his face buried in between them.

You sharply inhaled, marching towards the boy seated at your sofa that gave you solace and space. You were in fact clearly infuriated that he had sat there without your permission.

"Hey—"

You froze on your spot, half-a-meter away from him. There, the boy seated on your sofa, sobbed hardly in between his knees. His frail body shook uncontrollably as he tried his best to muffle his sobs. He was small too. Like you, he seemed like he was only four-years old. Yet, he cried without wanting anyone to realize that he was crying.

Gulping a thick amount of saliva, you took wary steps towards him. He sat by the very far end of the sofa, quivering even more. You noticed up close he had a few tiny bruises on his legs and one wound on his left knee.