Chapter 18 - Is That Even Allowed?

Hey guys! Before you start reading, I have an announcement! I published a new book called, "The Bad Boy Stole My Hat!" Please check it out and add it to your library! I promise you won't regret it!
Okay, now onto the chapter...

Summer's POV

"Summer! If you don't get your butt down here in five minutes we're leaving without you!" Blake yelled from downstairs. I started picking up the pace. I wouldn't hold it against my brothers to really leave without me.

"Coming!" I called back.

Today was the day of our first basketball game. I was super nervous because Coach had to cut some of the girls from the team who were actually good in order to make room for Tiffany, Nicky, and Charlotte. Not to mention that the whole school would be there to watch. The butterflies in my stomach kept growing and growing. It felt like I was going to burst.

I pulled up my sweatpants and threw on our team's warm up jacket. It had my name and number on it. I slipped into some adidas slides and put my phone in my pocket. I hauled my basketball bag onto my shoulder and plodded downstairs.

"It's about time!" Victor said.

"We still have plenty of time!" I defended.

We all squeezed into the car and drove to the gym in silence. I stared down at my gray sweatpants, trying to get into the zone. My brothers all knew my pre-game ritual, and they knew that if they messed it up, I would have their heads.

"We're here," Adam said after a short 10 minute drive. We all unloaded the car and headed into the gym. I found my coach who guided me towards the girls' locker room, careful not to accidentally look inside.

"Hey Summer," a few girl said when I walked in. I noticed that the Populars were already there and gossiping about something. They weren't even getting ready. I sighed as I sat down and slipped on my basketball shoes. I readjusted my ponytail and grabbed my ball, noticing that the other girls were warming up.

We were all just messing around and shooting half-court shots until our coach gave us further instructions. We had to wait for the Populars to get here before we could start our warm ups.

When they finally came out, I noticed their clothing. They were wearing tight leggings instead of the sweatpants, and they had bedazzled the warm up jackets. I mentally cringed. Those jackets were expensive. But I guess it didn't matter to them. I reuse my jacket every year. Coach always offers to buy a new one for me, but I decline. If I want something, I feel as though I should work for it. Not just get it handed over.

"Okay girls," Coach Greg finally said, "let's start with some lay ups." We got into two lines. One line was the shooting line, and the other was the defending and rebounding line.

While we were warming up, the other team got onto the court. They had super tall girls who looked aggressive. They managed to nail three-point shots, while we were over here missing lay ups. This is going to be an interesting game, I thought to myself.

We did some more basic drills as the stands started to fill up. We were the visiting team, but our school still filled over half the bleachers. The girls basketball team was pretty much the only team that consistently won games. Our school wasn't exactly the best at sports. I saw the STARE Squad there, but I also saw the rest of the Populars. Great.

When there was about five minutes left till the game started, Coach brought us to the locker room.

"Okay ladies. This is it. Your first game. Play good defense and score some points for us. And don't be afraid to be aggressive out there. Who wants to lead the cheer?"