Chapter 9

Terror was the key, of course, for there's a fine line between paralyzing dread and galvanizing fright.
~James Herbert

Tatiana

The following Friday afternoon, I go to pick up Ash from school. I park my sedan in the parking lot and walk up to the front of the school where her class waits. I look for her but don't see her. I walk over to her teacher. "Where is Ash?" I ask.

"Ash?" The teacher says. "Her father came and picked her up. He said that you sent him." Terror runs through my body.

"What did he look like?" I ask.

"He had blonde hair and big blue eyes." Chad.

"No. No. No. No." I say.

"What?" The teacher ask worriedly.

"His name is Chad Milton. He isn't a good man. We need to call the police." I pull out my phone and dial 9-1-1.

"What is your emergency?" The person on the other end asks.

"My daughter has been kidnapped." I reply.

"Are you sure?" The lady asks.

"I'm sure."

"What does your daughter look like?" She asks.

"She is six years in age. She has long blonde hair that is straight. She has tan skin and bright blue eyes. She is about four and a half feet tall. She weighs about 45 to 55 pounds. She has a birthmark on her left leg that is shaped like a heart." I say to the lady.

"Do you have an idea who might have abducted her?" The lady asks.

"Her father. He raped me in high school and skipped town that same day. He returned to town last week wanting a joint custody of Ashton, my daughter. I told him no and he said I would regret it. He came by house on Sunday and I ended up in the hospital with severe bruising on the neck and stomach."

"What is his name?"

"Chad Milton." I reply. "My daughter is named Ashton Marie Hanes and my name is Tatiana Hanes." I say.

"Thank you. Where was your daughter last seen and by who?"

"At her school, Guntersville Elementary. She was last seen by her teacher, Carla White."

"Okay. We want to stay at the school with the teacher. The police will be on their way shortly."

"Thank you." I say.

"Tatiana, I had no idea!" Carla cries. "I'm so sorry. I should've known."

"It isn't your fault." I say. I feel a couple tears slide down my face. "You didn't know."

"I'm still very sorry."

The police arrive in no time. One of the deputies takes Carla into one of the classrooms for questioning and another questions me. "Is Chad Milton known for violent behavior?" The deputy asks me. His badge says F. Stanton.

"Yes. Seven years ago he raped me and beat me. He skipped town that same night." I say. "On Sunday he came to my house looking for Ashton but she was at my parents. He strangled me and kicked me in the stomach." I add.

"Okay. Is there anyone who can attest to this?" I nod my head in reply.

"My uncle Cash Banks, my friend Trevor Ackles, my cousin Colton Banks, and my brother Ryder Hanes." I reply.

"Isn't your uncle the sheriff?"

"Yeah."

"Okay. Do you know where Chad would take your daughter?"

"No clue." I reply sadly. "I just want my baby back."

"I understand." He says. "That is all we need for now. We will be in contact."

I call Trevor to come pick me up since I don't feel like driving myself home. He climbs out of his truck when he arrives and walks over to me. "Tatiana." He says and that's all it takes for me to lose it. I burst out in tears and he holds me against his chest as I cry and cry. He holds me as I cry.

"I just want her back!" I cry. "She doesn't deserve this." I yell.

"I know, Sweetheart. Oh I know." He says comforting me. "We all want her back and we will get her back."

He takes me to his truck and he drives me to my parent's house. He walks in with me. He explains everything to my parents. My mom sits beside me on the couch and wraps me in her arms. "Oh Honey." She says to me. "We will get her back. I just know it."
My dad immediately calls my uncle asking for updates.

Trevor stays here with me as my parents go and get Hannah from school to break the news to her. Ryder and Claire come over from their house. Ryder gives me the biggest hug in the world. "Tatiana, I'm going to kill Chad and I don't care if I go to prison for it." He says to me.

"I don't want you to go to prison, Ryder." I say.

"Okay. Fine. I'll hire someone to kill him."

"What have I told you about organized crime, Ryder?!" Claire says.

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever." He says. Claire rolls her brown eyes. She gives me a giant hug after my brother.

"Tatiana, everything will be okay. I promise."