Chapter 33: Broken Rules

I had the power, it was down to me.

I brought forth energy and gave all, my soul, mind and everything I am, and will be... 

"Abreotan." 

Leda blasted off me with a hurricane force as and I stood tall, hands forward, adrenalin racing; renewed in strength and righteousness...

...You no longer know time when everything is wrapped up in one action, when there is no room to breathe, to sense or to feel alive. In that moment you are departed from everything you know to be real. You could be dead.

Spellbound, I couldn't close my eyes to the horror in front of me as the beautiful female dressed in white, fell from grace. She became nothing but ash on the hearth next to a sleeping Irish girl. If I had to describe it, I couldn't. Natural defences wiped the image from my mind. It'd be her suffering that would stay with me, and the mortification at what I'd done. I would never sleep as soundly, knowing I made the last moments of another beings life agony, even one so intent on killing me, and perhaps others...

I stumbled, but was caught by two strong hands and wrapped up so tightly, I could barely breath.

I lay like Juliette in Edgar's arms suddenly aware of how Leda had purged something from me before brandishing her freshly blessed knife.

"Araminta. I'm back. I'm sorry."

"No, it was my fault." Dizzy, still dizzy, sick... oh so sick. "The knife... no ordinary cutlery. It had a spell on it. A book of something taught them..."

"You're fading Araminta." I could feel his breath dance across my lips, and the worry in his hold. "Kiss me, one last time, I can bring you back."

"Kiss you anytime-,"

At the ball, he'd kissed me senseless; now, as our kiss deepened, I could feel the balance returning to my life. Edgar had himself healed and was now transferring back to me everything that had been taken, my life's essence, my power, my magic. I truly hadn't a clue.

He kissed me until I felt complete and then continued until every gentle push of his mouth had me spinning inside. Edgar gradually lifted me up to standing. I grinned and wiped away my tears, before threading my worn out arms around his neck.

"I love you. Edgar. I was so scared I'd lost you this time."

His eyes clouded, giving it away before I realised he was vanishing. Not the usual zap and sparkle, but gradually Edgar began to shimmer away. "I had to stop Darcy, she was in the way. I had to help you. Not just to save you, but I couldn't let them have your magic." He smiled, his half smile, but it was filled with sorrow and regret. "I never meant to kill her; she moved..."

I followed his gaze to where Darcy lay on the hearth by the pile of ash that had been Leda. She wasn't asleep but cold and lifeless; knife protruding.

"No, Ed. No." I held onto his neck as he took a hand from around my waste and stroked the side of my face. "You did what you had to."

He pushed me away and glanced at the air above and then at Iona's wasted body. "I love you. Eternity, whatever happens." Then, as I wretchedly folded my arms around my body, Edgar drew a circle in the air using both hands,

'Catch', my mind read clearly.

Instinctively, my hands shot out to catch a blue-white orb as it glided over.

"Use it. I love you Aramin-,"

Gone.

I listened.

Ringing in my ears.

The beating of my heart.

The ticking of the clock.

No connection.

Gone.

Empty.

Gone.

Gone.

Still searching the silence, I cradled the glowing sphere in my arms. Whatever it was, it was part of Edgar. I lifted the orb to my heart and gasped, as it seemed to eat its way through my black ball gown and dissolve inside me with a fizz. My hands tingled and my flesh buzzed for a moment. Then stilled.

Full of grief, but empty of tears, I dried my face on a tea towel, and looked around. What to do with the guard? He was a man, someone's son. I didn't know whose, but there was one Father that would claim him and that would have to do.

"Deliver him to Church, with a clear heart and mind, fill it with holy thoughts and what is divine." I didn't feel the need to say "Ætberan." It didn't even cross my mind that I wouldn't be able to evaporate Isaac and make him appear a mile away. I turned to Darcy.

"Ashes to Ashes dust to dust, return to the Earth... become the Earth." It was weak, but this time, I had the strength to look away.

Instinct told me it was over.

My heart pounded once again. I stood in front of Iona. "Oh my friend." And I'd thought there were no more tears. Lifting my hands to my face, I sobbed. She shouldn't have died. That wasn't fair. Of everything, Iona's death felt most wrong.

I stopped crying as suddenly as I started. The orb fizz was back. I hadn't realised... "How could I've known what you meant, you lovely fool? Oh Ed, thank you." He'd had nothing left to lose. Edgar had given me a parting gift and I knew what I needed to do with it. I didn't care about the consequences, neither had Edgar. I hoped it wasn't too late.

I dropped to my knees next to Iona. The knife in her body had been removed. Of course! Ed had used the only weapon available without his powers to stop Darcy. But, if he hadn't killed her... it didn't bear thinking about. 

Now, I hadn't a clue where to begin. I mustn't panic. This orb trick might not last for long and I'd probably only have one shot. I placed my hands over Iona's blooded body, forcing my fingers between the wet fabric. Thinking of life, of health, of happiness, I lowered my face over hers until our lips faintly touched, and breathed.

And breathed.

And breathed. 

"Ætberan."

*************

Thank you for reading my story. For those interested, I will publish the epilogue soon.