Mourning

"Dad..." I said, and he turned his head to face me. "W-what are you doing here?" I asked him and he stood up and walked toward me.

"Hey, Senie." He said in his old and raspy voice. "I came here as soon as I heard about the crash." He told me, and I saw tears falling down his face, and into his thick white beard.. "Are you okay?" He asked with concern in his eyes.

"I'm fine. It just hurts a little bit." I told him, and he let out a small smile before turning around and sitting next to the hospital bed beside him. I walked into the room and saw who the person on the bed was.

"Doctor said that she'll be awake in a week or so." My father said. "Doctors prediction." I sighed and shook my head before tears fell out of my eyes, and down my cheeks. "Senie, I know you don't like this new tech, and I know that's why you stay in the old parts of town, but you have to trust it. It's why your sister is still alive."

"But we don't need this. The old part of town, the technology we had when you were thirty is completely fine." I told him and picked up a device from a table beside me. "I mean...what even is this machine? What is it?" I put it back down and scoffed. By the way, it was the year 2023

"Senia Raymond-Maykis. Please...just trust it." He tried to convince me to convert to the new technology. "I...me and your mother--"

"Please...leave mom out of this." I told him, but hid my face so I didn't have to make eye contact. A knock on the door behind me caught my attention. When I turned around, my face lit up slightly, but then I reduced my expression down to a simple half-hearted smile.

"Speak of the devil." My father whispered. I gave him an angered stare before walking toward the person at the door and hugged them. "All right. I need to take a break." My father left the room, and I heard him start crying heavily as the door closed.

"Mom." I said and hugged her even tighter. "It's been so long."

"Too long, baby." She told me and I let go of her. "How're your sisters doing?"

"I don't know. I just woke up myself..." I replied, hoping that my other sister was in another room. But by the second, reality started settling in and the chances became even slimmer. "Do you know if Kass is in another room?"

"They said that this was the only room that had any Raymond's in it at the age of 25." Her eyes widened when she saw that there was only one bed. We both started crying and I hugged her. "No." She mumbled. "No." She said once more. "No! My baby!" She shouted and fell to her knees crying.

I got down onto my knees and hugged her tightly, though I couldn't hide my pain, and started sobbing heavily.
[-][-][-]
Four months passed of staying at home, and mourning my passed sister. I didn't do anything but cry, cut and eat myself to death. I just couldn't get over the fact that one of my sisters was...dead.

Only twenty-five years old.

I stood up and walked into the kitchen. I looked around and found the butcher's block under some garbage and dishes. I slowly walked up to the corner of the kitchen and grabbed a clever from the block. I held it firmly in my hand and took a second to think.

I held the tip of blade to my heart and closed my eyes. I was about to thrust the blade through my heart when there was sudden knocking at the door. It startled me so much, that I dropped the knife. The dog barked at the door, and the person knocked harder.

"Sen?" A familiar male voice called out. "Sen, are you okay? What's going on in there?" It was Jason. I stared at the knife on the floor and shook my head.

"Not today. Sonuvabitch." I turned around and walked toward the door. When I opened it, there were four people there, bombarding me with words.

"I need your rent!" "Sen, are you okay?" "Senia, I came to see if you were okay...and...yeah." "Senie, you can't stay in here forever, sis."

"I'll get you your rent tomorrow Cynthia, hey Jason, yes I can stay in her forever, Aika." I replied to them, and I was bombarded with even more voices.

"I need my rent now." "Sen, are you okay?" "No, you can't stay in here forever." "Senia...a-are you ignoring me?"

"Can you guys just leave!" I told them off, and my landlord and Jason turned around and left. Only Aika remained at my door. "Fine! Just come in." I said and Aika smiled and entered my apartment.

"My god! What is that smell?!" Aika freaked out, and blocked her nose. "Ogay, I'mb going to clean your room, Sedia. You guys cad work on the livig room." She said in a distorted voice and walked into my bedroom.

"What are you doing here?" I demanded. Mercedes jumped at my volume and quick spin to face her. "Mercedes, we aren't even friends, why do you keep coming back?"

"Because I think I've fallen for you." She replied, and I froze.

"Oh..." I said awkwardly. "I--uh...I don't know what to say..." I told her and scratched my head.

"You know what, this isn't going anywhere, and I know it won't, so I'm just gonna leave. Call me if you want to hang out sometime, though...maybe." She handed me a small piece of paper with a phone number, and I slipped it into my pocket. "Bye."

She exited my apartment, and I looked down at the piece of paper in my hands. I read the number over and over again, and suddenly felt the urge to call Mercedes...

For absolutely no reason.

I looked up at the door, then back to the number, then the door, and the number once more.

Acting out of instinct, I quickly left my apartment to go and chase Mercedes. I ran down the stairs toward the front door the my apartment building and looked around, but she was nowhere to be seen.

I took out the piece of paper once more and read the number multiple times over agin before heading back up to my apartment to help Aika with cleaning my house up.