Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Ch 5: An Offer

Cassandra

"I don't trust them."

I meet Aura's stormy blue eyes in the mirror's reflection as I'm trying on a dress for tonight's fundraiser. My sister is not happy with my decision for us all to attend.

While the idea of bringing my sisters somewhere they could be vulnerable doesn't sit well with me, I think we will all be safer staying close to Luce and his security team. Since they will all be at the fundraiser, then so will we.

That doesn't mean Aura hasn't been complaining since I told her.

We're all in Luce's living room, which has temporarily been turned into a fitting room, complete with a privacy screen and mirror. When Luce realised none of us had outfits suitable for his fancy event, he had his personal shopper bring us several options from some of the most expensive brands in London.

The cost of the dress I'm currently wearing is probably the same as the rent of our flat. Possibly more. It's more proof that Luce moves in a world completely unlike our own, and not only because of his...not being human.

My gaze strays from Aura to the tall, broad shape of Dare sitting on the couch. He's barely left our side all day and I can't tell whether he's here to keep us safe or to make sure we don't run away. Maybe both.

"No one said you have to trust them," I mutter, aware that Dare can probably hear us. Aura doesn't seem to care, and I doubt the silent hulk of a man will have his feelings hurt by her antagonism. "But we're not exactly in the best position at the moment. We can't return home and I have no money for a new lease yet. Give me a few days to sort everything out. If I can get our deposit back, we can hopefully find something else."

She opens her mouth to say something, but I cut in. "And let's not forget that you're currently a walking beacon to alert the Hellbound to our location. The thing I fought yesterday was the strongest and fastest I've ever come across. If we're attacked by a group of them, I couldn't protect you alone."

It hurts to admit it. For four years, I've been my sisters' sole protector, but what we're up against now is beyond my abilities. Whatever the Hellbound are, they are powerful. If Luce can give us more information about them, that will be helpful in knowing how to stay safe. And that's really all I want. To keep my sisters safe, above all.

"Are you sure you don't trust them?" Aura crosses her arms over her chest and glares at me. "You seemed pretty cosy with Mr Morningstar this morning. I hope you're not falling for his pretty boy act."

"What?" The memory of the unexpected jolt of desire whenever he touches me heats my cheeks, and I pray my sisters can't tell. I hate how I can't seem to stop thinking about Luce. "No, of course not."

"He's paying for our dresses, isn't he? And he gave you the day off from work."

"He's only paying because he wants us to attend this fundraiser and doesn't want us standing out like a sore thumb."

Turning slightly to see my reflection from a different angle, I admire the black dress. As awkward as I feel about letting Luce buy us these outfits—and I kind of hope we can return them after the party—they look amazing. Mine is a black number that looks appropriately demure from the front, but when I turn, there's a plunging neckline leaving me bare from my shoulders to the small of my back.

I love it, even if it means I can't use my shoulder holster for the dagger. A slightly larger clutch will do the trick, so it's not the end of the world. I wonder if Luce will like it? The unbidden thought makes me take a step back from the mirror. I need to remember why I'm doing this. Luce sits on a lot of information I want. No, need.