Chapter 20 - A Romantic Scene

Alastor let the taps run, the porcelain claw foot bath slowly filling with bubbles and warm water. Candles scattered every other corner of the bathroom, and even a tiny tray with snacks and drinks was set up beside the bath. If there was one thing he learned from his mother, it was how to treat a lady right, and that included preparing a bath.

"Now, where was that..." Alastor looks around the bathroom in confusion, giving his shadow just enough time to sprinkle a few rose petals into the bath. "Oh, what have you done now??" He glares at the entity, who shrugs with a silent cackle.

It pulls out a small bouquet and lays it with the snacks, only making the bath more romantic. A slightly tense smile formed as a panic set in, the bouquet being snatched from the table. What was he going to do?? This would indeed send the wrong message!

"Alastor?" You glance into the bathroom and behold a scene from a romance movie. But instead of a confident hallmark celebrity with a rose between his lips, it was a slightly frozen and flustered Alastor whose shadow was snickering behind him. "Are you trying to romance me?"

"It was his idea," he goes to point at the shadow, only for his hand with the bouquet extended. "Fuck."

Your heart swelled in your chest, hands tightly holding one another. His ears had fallen back in his slight embarrassment, head tilting away. A gentle crimson dusted his face, his smile trembling a little as his eyes furrowed. God, you were going to melt.

"I'm sorry, he's been a little out of sorts recently," Alastor shoos the shadow away. "I hope you don't mind all this,"

The ambient lighting, soothing scent and the softest towels folded; why would you ever mind this? "No one has ever done something like this for me before. Of course, I don't mind,"

His head turns back to the side, a sigh of relief leaving him. "Well, I'll leave you to it, my dear," he places the bouquet on the sink, looking at the mirror.

You had turned away, slowly unbuttoning your shirt, the soft silk falling off your shoulder, "thank you, Alastor," you look over at him through the mirror, a slight smirk pulling at your lips.

"Right, yes," he clears his throat, leaving the bathroom as quickly as he could. Of course, none other than his shadow was waiting in your bedroom, cackling like a maniac. "Don't make me bind you to a box," he warns.

~~~

"Oh god, I feel like I scared him off," you groan, phone to your ear. "I don't think this is going to work,"

"Stop your nonsense; he's going to chase you down after a week!" Rosie giggles, "You're hot! Any guy would be lucky to get a gal as darling as you!"

"I know, but he didn't say anything else! I feel like he was, I don't know,
uncomfortable??" Your doubts grew louder.

"I'll tell you what, next I see the flustered fellow, I'll report back! How's that sound?" She hums into the phone, eating a pinky finger.

"I suppose," you sigh out in defeat. "But if he didn't like it, then I'm stopping it immediately! I can't lose him just because I have some stupid crush,"

"Ha! A crush," Rosie snorts, "you're in love for hell's sake! You're head over heels, hand in heart, butterflies in your chest and cotton in your throat in love!"

You failed to interrupt her rant, which only makes you more embarrassed at the situation in front of you. "You done?"

"For now," she teases, "oh, looks like lover boy is here now; talk soon! Kisses!" She slams the phone down and grins innocently at Alastor, who looks like he needs more than a drink. "What's got you red as a ribbon?"

~~~

"Vox," you call the TV demon soon after Rosie, "word is you still haven't ceased operation like I told you to do," bubbles burst and busied on its little mountain while the water swayed gently below.

Vox's eyes widen, "Y/n, didn't expect to hear from you," he leans back in his chair, watching the TV screens broadcasting all of hell.

"Ever or so soon? Because if you play nice, then you'll never have to hear from me again," you remind.

Vox gives a gentle chuckle, "Message read loud and clear,"

~~~

"I feel like I can't breathe," Alastor groans, head in his hands, "it's like I can hardly function when I'm around her as it is and now-"

"I knew a red dress would get you, but my god, you are more lovesick than I thought!" She giggles behind her tea.

"She looked absolutely stunning, Rosie; it felt like I was burning up from the inside out," he huffs, radio static dangling around him. "And the bath- oh, dear," he recalls once more to her.

All she does is observe, replying with a simple shrug, which only causes more static. "Hey, don't get all moody just 'cause she showed a little shoulder, and you went all goofball 'bout it," she gives him a warning tone, "surely that means she likes ya?"

"What if I'm looking at all of this the wrong way?" He suddenly asks. "What if I'm fuzzing up my head with a bit too much hope?"

"You and hope, ha, never thought those two words would be in the same sentence," she scoffs, offering him another raw cube of venison she always has on hand. "You love the girl?"

"I love her more than anything," he admits aloud. It felt like a sudden weight lifted off his chest; never had he honestly admitted those very words to another soul. He loves you. And he would tear heaven and hell apart for you.

"Then show her, don't rush, don't beat around the bush, just tell her how you feel," she encourages.

"I can't lose what we have. Not again," Alastor's smile was slowly becoming weary.

"Then take it easy. Do what you always do, but maybe sit a little closer, offer your arm more often, get some flowers!" She stands up, grabbing his microphone. "Men think we're all so complicated, but most of us are real suckers for the classics," she winks while shoving the device into his hand, "now, go get 'er, Tiger," she smacks him with her umbrella, which causes a glare.

"Thank you, Rosie,"

"Oh, don't thank me, just take her out on the town for me!" She waves him off, picking up the phone soon enough. "Hello? Mhm, nearly killed him," she jokes, "he thinks you're stunning, doll; take the flirting up a notch!"

~~~

Rosie a real one fr

Rosie a real one fr

- Anna ❤️