Wattpad Original
Te quedan 3 partes más de forma gratuita

Ch 29: Answers

VALENTINA

Val's chest tightened to the point of pain.

Teresa looked as beautiful as Val remembered. She'd pulled her long hair back into a sleek ponytail, and she wore dress pants that cinched at her hourglass waist and a silky white blouse. At least she wasn't lounging on the bed naked, but she looked stunning nonetheless.

"You're earlier than..." The older woman trailed off when her eyes landed on Val behind Matteo's hulking frame. She cocked a fine brow but showed no other indication of surprise. "I didn't realize you'd be bringing your charge."

Your charge. As if Val was nothing more than a pesty don's daughter that Matteo had been ordered to guard.

"Get Valentina a drink. Something strong to calm her nerves," he ordered, ignoring Teresa's pointed jab. Val couldn't see Matteo's face but sensed his urgency as he strode toward the desk. He brushed past Teresa's perch on the edge and started rummaging through one of the drawers.

Teresa's heavily shadowed eyes watched his movements before she finally turned her attention back to Val. Emotionless, she slipped off of the desk and made her way to the bar to fulfill Matteo's command.

If Val wasn't so shaken, she would've told the woman not to waste her energy. She wasn't going to drink anything prepared by Teresa. She stayed by the door, clutching her arms around her stomach. Pain still radiated from where the Mazza soldier's knee collided with her.

Val glanced back toward the big king-sized bed. The sheets weren't wrinkled and not a pillow was out of place, which gave her hope that Matteo used this room for a purpose other than sex. Then again, just because Teresa hadn't been waiting for him on the bed didn't mean that they wouldn't have ended up between the sheets by the end of their time together...

"Val?" Matteo's voice penetrated her wandering thoughts.

"Huh?" she mumbled, snapping her eyes back toward him.

He walked away from the desk again, a folder in one hand, and approached her. Concern lined his features. "I asked if you're okay."

"Peachy," she snapped, poison dripping from the word.

He frowned. "Did he hurt you?"

Not nearly as much as you, she wanted to say. Instead, she swallowed the traitorously thick lump in her throat and shook her head.

Matteo pressed his lips into a thin line, seemingly unconvinced, but he didn't push her on the subject. Instead, he reached out in an attempt to cradle her cheek in his free palm. Every fiber in her body yearned to lean into his touch.

She blinked, snapping out of it, and jerked her head back before he had the chance to pull her in.

"I told you I'll explain everything," he reiterated, the words taut with tension. He dropped his hand but took a small step closer to her, narrowing the space between their bodies. Val didn't know whether to feel enthralled or threatened by his closeness. "I just have something to deal with first. Stay with Teresa. I'll be back in a few minutes."

Val's lips cracked open, but she didn't get the chance to protest before he left, the door's lock clicking into place behind him. She gaped at the place he stood moments before. Matteo left her with this woman?

"Here," Teresa drawled from across the room, her voice naturally husky and low. "Do you want this drink or not?"

Val turned back toward the older woman, who held a whiskey glass out and sloshed the amber liquid around. Some of it spilled over the edge.