Wattpad Original
There are 9 more free parts

Soul-Deep Kisses

The goblin released Reia with a snicker and shoved her to the side.

The meat in her belly lurched as she clawed backward to get away from him.

He squatted beside the skull, his rangy arms snaking out of his cloak. Lizard fingers furled around the two saber fangs she'd been trying to yank out. Under his inconspicuous strength, they popped free. It was almost too easy.

Her feet were planted wide, her hand reaching for the dagger in her boot. But Bayne had taken it back and she stood defenseless as Snigvik turned to face her.

"Beeg teef ehh gif meh, Yah-mah," he rasped, looking well pleased. In each fist, he held a fat tooth. He stowed them in his cloak and stared up at her with those too-wide eyes. The rabid hunger in them warned her not to act like prey.

Forcing a smile, she held up three fingers. "Yes, big teeth." Down came one finger. "Now let me bring you fresh yah-mah, goblin prince."

The vertical slits of his eyes narrowed, but he nodded. "No wof."

With an impassive nod, she assured him, "I'll come back alone." Not trusting him to behave, she backed up a good distance before turning to march away. Alarm zipped into her gut when, at the door to the Leikker Skal, she turned back to see him gone. Only the silhouette of the bones remained on the ice. But he was there. She could sense the slithery prickle of his eyes groping her skin even from a safe distance.

Goblin magic, she thought. Sneaky bastards.

Inside the Leikker Skal, she beelined it where two wargs in leather aprons stood chopping and dressing meat for the spit. The table was laden with meat, joints, and larger hunks mounted on the hooks behind them. The cleaver froze in the air as she halted before them.

The warmth of the fire and the roasting meat did little to calm her racing heart. The two wargs glared as she grabbed a large steak off the chopping block and dragged it to the floor. Their noses flared, brows dropping low as they exchanged looks. She thought they might stop her, but neither said a word as she turned on her heel.

With a muffled cry, she slammed into Bayne's chest. She sagged against him with instant relief, but when she looked up into his face, she gasped.

His eyes were nearly white they were so charged. Fur sprouted along his forearms, the muscles strutting and rippling as though something threatened to burst free. "What's wrong?" he growled, his voice barely human. Behind him, Basil's ears stood alert, his nose ruffled towards the open doors.

Her tongue flicked over her dry lips. "Our little friend has come to collect what's owed."

Understanding lit his face, his eyes darkening safely to amber. "I'll come with you," he said, eyeing the steak that was nearly as long as she was.

But she shook her head. "He said no wolves."

He stalked to the double doors and she muttered a curse, hastening after him with the meat dragging along the floor. But he halted under the broad lintel, his wrathful glare scouting the dark. "I smell him," he grumbled, "but I don't see him."

"You can't go with me," she hissed, stepping in front of him with a glower. She thought he was going to ignore her when all he did was stare past her. "He'll vanish if you come."

The warg leaned his forearm on the door, his jaw tense. "How does he do that?"

She sawed her lip between her teeth. "I don't know." Just as she didn't know how Bayne had given her preternatural sight and strength. Which was now all but gone. "He moves like smoke and cloaks himself in night, that's all I know."