4| this changes things

The group is silent in front of me

The group is silent in front of me. I couldn't believe it when I first heard it. Why would the police cover up a girl's murder? Why would they tell her family a lie?

"Why would they try to cover that up?" Violet mutters, somehow reading my mind.

Arjun, fidgeting with a gold ring on his thumb, seems to have heard her comment too. "Clearly, something happened to her that no one can know about," he says, his eyes darting around the room.

"Maybe they were bribed." Finn suggests. I shake my head in disbelief. There's no way someone could have enough money to bribe an entire police force.

"Are you sure you heard it right, Astrid?" Wes questions looking over at me. I think back to when I was sitting in that stuffy office and wonder whether maybe I did hear it wrong.

FLASHBACK

"Hello Astrid, I'm Officer Brooks. Please take a seat," the woman in front of me says, motioning to the dusty seats in front of her. I reluctantly take a seat and watch her organise some papers. She eventually sits and looks at me. We sit in silence for what feels like hours as she appears to be studying me. I begin to wonder if she has frozen or gone into a coma, but she eventually speaks again.

"Apologies for interrupting your day," she says, still studying me intently. "We just wanted to ask you a few questions about what happened last night, is that okay?"

"Alright, let's get started. First of all, at what time did you find the body?" She asks, without waiting for my response.

"It was a little after midnight." I reply, watching her hurriedly scribble my words down.

Looking back up at me, she continues her questioning. "Who were you with?"

"Violet Huang, Harper Monroe, Finn Everett, Wesley Gibson and Arjun Singh." I list out the names of our group.

"Okay, perfect. Can you describe to me exactly what you saw when you found the body." She inquires.

I nod and begin explaining the events of last night to her. "Wes and Harper found it first. They were having a race when they stumbled upon it. Harper screamed, so we all ran over. At first, we were confused, but once we realised what it was, we were really scared. Arjun ran to get help. But there was nothing near the body, like no weapons or anything, if that's what you're asking."

Officer Brooks nods again, setting her pen down. "Alright Astrid, you can go now. You've been a great help," she says, dismissing me.

I get up out of my chair as quickly as possible, wanting to get back to my friends. I slip out of Officer Brooks' office and step into the hallway. As I get closer to the door leading to my freedom I hear voices getting louder. I slow down and make my steps as quiet as possible.

Curiosity gets the better of me as I tiptoe to the slightly ajar door from which the voices are coming from, finally starting to make sense of the conversation.