| Chapter Fifty-five | Recovery

Kyojuro Rengoku

I paced. It was all I could do. Waiting, listening, hoping. Senjuro was brought to the butterfly mansion unconscious, and so was Rika. I walked back and forth down the hallway and back, staring at the floor. I began to trace the lines in the wood with NY eyes as I walked.

"Enkyo."

My head snapped up and I turned. Mura watched me closely. I could see that he was waiting for me to snap.

"It all happened so fast. If I had made it to his side in time before he used the Ninth Form, he wouldn't have had to expend his energy." I said.

"He didn't expend his energy." Mura said.

My hands balled into fists, and I forced myself to stop moving. Leaning my head on the wall and resting my hand on it, I stared down.

"I saw the Ninth Form, Mura. I am a Flame Breathing user. I am a Rengoku. I know what it looks like." I said.

"Oh I'm not saying you're wrong about that. You did see the Ninth Form, but it wasn't... Senjuro..."

My head shot up and I narrowed my eyes at him. I stepped forward, and stared.

"There was nobody else there." I said.

"Except there was. Enkyo... you were busy with Senjuro, I know, but... Senjuro was saved. By... Shinjuro."

"Then where is he now, Mura!? If he truly cared about his son enough to come save him, then why isn't he here right now making sure he's alright?"

Mura sighed and shook his head. He sat on one of the benches in the hallway. Then he leaned forward with his elbows on his legs, and his hands together, bowing his head.

"You left the scene so quickly with Senjuro, so I guess you didn't notice." He said.

"Notice what?"

I moved again, unable to keep myself in one spot so I stood across the hallway in front of Mura, leaning on the wall.

"Shinjuro was there. He used your special form and I guess... it took everything he had..."

My eyes widened. I hadn't thought about it, but the blaze still burned even after I was still holding Senjuro in my arms. I didn't look up at it, my only focus was Senjuro.

"Then he should be here." I growled.

If he cared, then why run away? Why go to all the effort to show up only to leave after saving Senjuro?

"I agree with you, he should be." Mura said.

"He's probably gone home to-"

"Enkyo. Your father died using the Ninth Form."

I stopped midsentence and stared at the floor. Father sacrifice himself to save Senjuro. He put too much into the Ninth Form and it killed him.

"Damn it!" I growled.

I turned and leaned my head against the wall again. Now we've lost our father. While I'm sure he was happy to be with Mother once again, he was no longer here.

"He said take care of him... Kyojuro. Just before he collapsed and died." Mura said.

My fist reached up and I hit the wall. Fury filled me and my body became hot. I stared up at the ceiling.

"How could you ask that of me and just leave!? You get to escape and be happy!?"

My hand went to my waist and I ran to the yard. I pulled out my sword and began to swing. The yard at Kocho's house was large enough that I could use each form.