Wattpad Original
There are 18 more free parts

Chapter Twenty-Six

Ch.26: Party Planning

"Well, that was nerve-wracking," I said as we were driven back to the loft.

"Was it?" Jude said.

"For me, yeah. I've never done anything like that before."

He kissed the back of my hand. "You nailed it."

"Did I?" I couldn't keep the doubt from creeping into my voice.

"You think you didn't?"

"I have no idea," I said plaintively.

"You were a pro."

"How did Zoe know about the stalker?" I asked.

This time Jude didn't stiffen, but when I glanced up at him, a little frown had settled between his eyebrows. "I told Neil about it a few days ago."

"He didn't already know?"

Jude shook his head. "I didn't want him making a big deal out of it. But since the stalker seems to have disappeared, I thought it was okay to tell him."

"And, what? He told Zoe?"

"I can't think of anyone else who would have done."

"But why would he do that?"

"I don't know, but I'll find out."

My phone rang, Tasha's name flashing on the screen. I hesitated. I wasn't done talking to Jude, but something told me Tasha wasn't calling for a casual chat.

"You should get that," Jude said.

I answered the call. "Hi, Tash."

"Jude has a stalker and you didn't tell me?" she said, her voice too loud in my ear.

I winced. "I didn't want to worry you."

"Bullshit," she said hotly, and I saw Jude's lips twitch. Obviously he could hear every word. "Are you in danger?" Tasha demanded.

"No," I said.

"How do you know?"

I glanced at Jude, silently pleading.

"I'm not going to let anything happen to you," Jude said, raising his voice enough that Tasha could hear him.

She made an unhappy noise. "You still should have told me. We always tell each other everything."

Her words stung more than I think she meant them to. All my life, Tasha had been my best friend, the person I always knew I could count on and confide in, and the last thing I'd wanted was to make her feel pushed away. But, judging, by the hurt in her voice, that was exactly what I had done.

"Tash," I started, then broke off and pinched the bridge of my nose. "I'm not trying to leave you out, but my life is very weird right now, and I'm still finding my footing, so please be patient with me."

She sighed down the phone. "I'm trying, but it's not easy when I find out stuff like this."

"I'll call you tomorrow, and we'll talk about everything properly, okay?" I said.

"Okay," Tasha mumbled.

"Love you."

"Love you, too."

I hung up, and looked down, my hands fidgeting in my lap as I tried to decide whether I should further pursue the conversation that Jude and I had been having before Tasha called.

"Jude," I said.

"Yeah?"

"Why were you so annoyed when Zoe brought the stalker up?"