Chapter Sixteen

"Don't you think two weeks is extreme?"

"We are trying to instill discipline in our students and they have to take consequences for their actions."

"But two weeks..."

"Maybe, you can use those two weeks to teach him better."

I blink at her. Is she questioning my parenting? The audacity. "Are we done here?" I ask the principal, who I'm beginning to dislike.

"Yes, we—"

I don't wait for the rest of her words before I pick up my bag from the table and stand up from the chair, not saying anything else as I exit the office to see Gabriel squatting in front of my son, in a conversation with him.

Both of them turn to me as they hear the door bang shut and Gabriel is quick to stand up. "What's going on?"

I don't answer him. Instead, I turn to Lucas. "We have a lot to talk about."

I expect Lucas to feel bad, but instead, he shrugs like he already knows. "Is this the boss you were texting last week? He says his name is Gabriel."

I take a deep breath. "You don't have the right to ask questions, young man."

"Mom, I think we're in the same shoes right now. You're also suspended and Gabriel doesn't even know you are! You also have some explaining to do."

Gabriel chuckles at Lucas' smart mouth but converts it to a cough when I glare at him. Damn kids for being so smart these days.

Gabriel and Lucas stare at me, waiting for my next move. I sigh. "Let's go."

Immediately after my words, the bell rings, indicating the end of the school day. No time is wasted as the kids start running out from their classes, most of them heading for the playground.

I see a small figure barrelling towards us, but immediately she reaches Lucas, she stops, attacking him with a hug. "What did they do to you?" She asks before looking in front of her and realizing that I'm in front of her. "Oh, hi, miss Jennings. Lucas isn't in any trouble right?"

"I'm suspended," Lucas replies to her while I merely smile at her.

Ally gasps in horror. "For how long? Who will I sit with at lunch?"

Lucas, who happens to have as pale skin as I do, starts blushing. "Don't be silly. You have Octavia."

"Yeah, but she's not you." She pouts, hugging him again.

"It was nice seeing you again, Ally, but it's time to go." I interfere, knowing that if I let them be, they'll always have something to say and never end the conversation. "Say hi to your parents for me, okay?"

"Okay, miss."

Immediately after Ally walks away, we take our leave with Gabriel in front while I and Lucas walk side by side. He refuses to let me hold his hand, but I do anyway.

When we get to where Gabriel parked and I open the back door for Lucas, he gasps in astonishment. "Is this your car?" He asks Gabriel, who was staring at him as he looked the car over. Gabriel nods. "Wow, it's so cool."

"Yeah, it is. Now, get in."

Lucas reluctantly does as I say and after securing his seatbelt, I get settled in the passenger's seat. "Address?" Gabriel asks as he puts his car in reverse.

The seven-year-old in the backseat happily recites it for him, no doubt already enchanted because of the kind of car he has. Gabriel hasn't been driving for long when Lucas opens his smart mouth again. "Are you guys dating?"