Chapter 10: and lastly

So the opening-up, the coming-out, or whatever you want to call it; the truth is probably the right term.

The school admin went into panic mode for a while, then they began to preen themselves because they thought that they were so 'with it', so modern and 'politically correct' supporting a transgender girl student.

My mates, of course, were fabulous. At school, I received very little teasing. I suppose it was pretty risky business to attack a member of the group of girls who were the cleverest and, in my opinion, the most attractive, in their year. Besides, the other kids already knew me as Babs; there just didn't seem to be any real change.

I went through all the proper transition procedures, and frankly enjoyed it thoroughly as my body slowly transformed into that of the teenage girl I wanted to be. We managed the costs reasonably well because economic conditions had finally improved and Mum had got herself a full-time job.

I elected not to proceed with the final gender reassignment surgery; not just because of the high costs involved, but for other reasons - let's call them future expectations.

The years have passed and I'm married now. My partner and I have completed our university degrees and are professional architects. We have our own practice.

We also have two children; both clever little blighters.

Oh, these days, Cher's wife is called Barbara; however, at home, Cher still likes to call me Babs. I like it too.

We do have a good relationship.