10. The Next Step

The moment the door shut behind Miss Cicely, Louis turned back, remarking, "She's gone. She was flustered." When Enola said nothing other than a scorned look, he said, "Do not think of doubting me. Cicely was here for my help. She-she told me at the ball that she's working on a bill to change factory law. She's unearthed something, some corruption or other."

"She's doing what?" Enola said slowly.

"Enola, if you have any concerns, I tell you categorically, I...I have no eyes for anyone but.." he broke off, suddenly flustered before resuming, "Well, no, this is not quite how I wanted to say that, but to say, in terms of romantic interests, yes my interest is...The reason I don't have to search...I'm busy with politics, like I said-"

"Louis, she's not listening," Aylia interrupted, stepping back into sight and studying her sister. "You can confess you love her later."

"She didn't have a chaperone," Enola whispered. "I have been blind! I have missed everything."

"What is it, Enola?" Aylia asked.

"Sarah is Cicely," she exclaimed, turning back around to look at them both. Cicely is Sarah!"

"Enola, what on earth-" Louis began as she rushed for the door.

Letting out an irritated groan, he followed after her. Throwing on a cloak, Aylia covered her face with a hood and followed after them, just close enough to hear where they were headed in case she needed to reach out to Sherlock.

"Enola, did you understand what I said?" Louis asked, rushing after her. "Or rather what I didn't say? Did you understand...what I didn't say?"

"Yes!" she replied, turning to face him. "You were saying that you..." She broke off, staring at him in surprise. "That message you sent me with the fan at the ball...what did it mean?"

"It means I love you," Louis said.

Aylia smiled, turning to leave them be before Enola said, "Of course. They were working together, in love. They had a plan...to expose that corruption in that factory and stop what his father was doing. They wanted your help. William Lyon invited you to that ball. He's a radical, just like you."

"They needed my help," Louis replied. "You're right, but Enola, we must return inside. The police are pursuing you and we have much to talk of."

"No!" she retorted, swatting at him. "I know we have much to talk of, my dear, dear lord. You love me, and as it turns out, I love you too."

"You love me too?" Louis repeated.

"You really are a nincompoop," Enola said. "Now hail a cab."

"Wait," Aylia interrupted, leaving the building and approaching them. "Tell me where you're going. If Sherlock or Elwin show up and I have no clue, they will lose their minds."

"The factory," Enola replied, turning back to the street and climbing in the cab Louis had just hailed. "Stay safe, Aylie."

"Will do," she replied. "You as well."

.

Aylia was pacing nervously, one arm wrapped tightly around her waist while she pulled at her lip sporadically with the other. It had now been about an hour since Enola and Louis had left, and there was still not a word from anyone.

Then, with a suddenness that nearly made her cry out in surprise, there was a harsh knock on the door. Getting over her fright, she took a step forward before remembering herself. She had been warned, by both Louis and Elwin, not to answer the door if she was alone.

"Ayla, darling, it's me," a hoarse voice said, but, hoarse or not, it was undeniably Elwin.

She did not wait another moment before springing towards the door and wrapping her arms around him.

"Oh my god, Elwin," she whispered, pulling him inside and frowning at the sight of the forming bruises across his face. "Love, what happened?"

"Grail wanted to know where Enola was," he admitted, avoiding her gaze.

"Wait, how long ago was this?" Aylia asked, her eyes wide.

"About a half an hour," he replied, frowning. "Why, what's wrong?"

"Elwin, please tell me you didn't come directly here," Aylia said quickly.

"No," he replied, brows furrowed. "Ayla, I went to our flat and slipped back out through the window."

"Elwin, he would have had all the entrances and exits watched. He-"

Before she could say more, a bang as loud as a battering ram pounded against the door, sending it clean off its hinges. Aylia jumped, grabbing onto Elwin by the arm as they both tried to see through the clouding sawdust at the doorway.

Before it had fully cleared, the metallic clinking of a cane scraped and banged at the floor, a starting act to Grail himself.

"Ah, the merry couple," he drawed, looking between them with feigned, and frankly rather creepy, fondness or admiration.

"Stay away from my wife," Elwin snapped, pushing her farther behind him with a hand at her waist.

"Unfortunatly, I need you both," Grail said sombrely. "Now, come quietly and we needn't add to either of your bruises."

He took a step forward, followed by two guards. Elwin stepped back, forcing Aylia to follow. It was over before it began. Elwin and Aylia tried to fight them off, but after only a few moments, Aylia was pinned to the ground with a knife at her throat and Elwin was pressed against the wall, a gun at the back of his head.