04;

I could already sense the tension in the air between the three of us and even if Seeley could too, he was very good at hiding it because his smile never even faded.

Sometimes I wanted to be positive like him but on my worst days, all I could think was that this guy must have been using drugs to be this kind of smiley even in the worst kind of situations.

"Seeley," my mother nodded, her voice strict and unimpressed.

"What brings you here?" I asked furrowing my eyebrows and stepping closer.

When Seeley's eyes fell on me, he took his time to examine my shorts and a loosened shirt that left my right shoulder naked.

"Yes, what brings you here, Seeley?" my mother crossed her arms and stepped in front of me to hide me from Seeley's intense gaze.

Seeley blinked a few times before turning back to my mother.

"I'm here to pick Heddy up."

"You do with her what?" she narrowed her eyes and I leaned my head to the side.

"You what?" I asked, almost horrified.

Sometimes I couldn't even deny the fact that I was her daughter.

Seeley looked back and forth between my mother and me before rubbing his arm, his veins becoming more visible.

"I thought..." Seeley looked disturbed and confused at the same time now. "Leigh told me that she texted you about this."

When my mother turned back to me with disgrace firing in her eyes, I grabbed my phone from my back pocket and saw an unread message from Leigh. She'd sent it around five minutes ago.

So, that was why my phone was vibrating while I was getting ready upstairs. I would have read it but my mother interrupted me and just sent my mind off things for the past few minutes with her nothing lectures.

When I opened Leigh's message, I was faced with the information Seeley has been talking about.

Sorry girl, can't pick you up since my mother insists on having one last breakfast with her and I don't know how long it will take. Knowing her will probably take ages...

I asked Seeley to pick you up

meet you at the beach

I felt something strange and uncomfortable filling my chest as I read her messages over and over. I almost asked myself why would she bring me into a situation like this but truth be told, Seeley was the one that lived only a few blocks away from me, so that part made sense.

But still, I would have much preferred if I had to walk to Cannon beach.

I, stuck in a car with Seeley, for an hour and more?

Wasn't the brightest idea. Hell, I didn't even know how that would end.

And by the look of my mother's disapproving face, she had to have the same thoughts that I've had.

Everything felt so wrong with this but I didn't have the heart to send Seeley away now. Especially since my mother was standing here between us like a brick wall.

It would be more awkward if I'd sent him on his way while my mother would be all proud that her wishes got fulfilled and she didn't even need to open her mouth.

We were in a weird place with Seeley but I wouldn't do that to him. I owed him that much that I didn't embarrass him in front of my mother who hasn't been a fan of his.

"Oh, I didn't read this one," I said, swallowing my nerves.

Seeley forced a smile on his face, his dimples catching my attention. Smiles still looked good on him. There was no point in denying that.