019

×~2 Hours Until Midnight~×

Michael had just barely missed his chance. Only moments after he arrived had they pulled away from the house. He hadn't the slightest idea of where they were going, but he knew how to drive. (Something he never understood about himself(it doesn't even make sense in the movies but ok))

And apparently he knows how to hotwire cars, because in a blitz he had started the neighbors red truck and was driving it after the rustbucket that they called a car.

🖤

"Girl you think I have a phone right now?" Judith said, trying to lighten the mood. "I don't even got a clean shirt right now. Annie wouldn't mind us dropping in anyway."

"She would with a psychopath chasing us." Logan said, trying to make herself comfortable. She wished she hadn't gotten her car destroyed. The thought, although it was only for a moment, brought Cathy back to her mind. Oh how she wished her best friend was here. She'd make such a laugh about their predicament.

"We'll pull over and use a payphone when we get far from here." Angel said shakily. Logan could see from her spot in the back seat that she looked to be crying. She didn't blame her, cause she would be too if she wasn't so exhausted. Judith looked on with a blank stare. She had nothing left to say.

They drove on in silence for an hour, only the softening rain and light thunder keeping them from insanity.

After what felt like years, Angel pulled them into a gas station lot. Judith pulled a crisp, soggy $20 bill from her bra and handed it to her sister.

"When the fuck did you have time to grab cash?"

"I always keep cash in the pad of my bras. You never know when you're gonna need it. And by the looks of it, we need it."

Angel glanced at the tank meter. "It'll be enough to get us to the next town over." With a sigh, she got out of the car and dashed into the rain and towards the rundown, sunburnt little gas station.

A beat of silence between the remaining women.

Logan saw Angel speaking with the pimpily teenager behind the counter. She thought about what his life must be like. Working out in the middle of nowhere. Did he live at the station? Where were his parents if he did? She suddenly didn't want to know, as if the answer would make her sick.

Moments later, Angel was rushing back outside. She huddled by the pump, trying to efficiently fill the tank up as quickly as possible. She anxiously tapped her nails on the roof.

Lights flickered from the street. A bright red truck pulled into the lot. Anxiety pulsed through the three women. But the driver stepped out of the vehicle and snapped open an umbrella. He traveled inside without a single glance at them.

"Hurry up Angel I wanna get out of here." Judith said.

"It's almost done. Just give me a few more seconds-" The pump made a click noise as it finished. But it wasn't pulled away from the car. Angel's body slammed into the open driver door. Blood trickled down her neck as she slid down with a slick, wet noise. Judith's face was frozen in terror. She let out a mortified scream. She threw her car door open and ran towards her dying sister.

Michael stood tall over his sisters. He seemed to be in an euphoric state as he walked almost gracefully towards his elder sister. She glowered up at him as he raised the old Brackett kitchen knife above her and struck her down. She didn't scream. Her torso slowly fell foward, covering her sister from the rain as if this was some sort of Shakespeare-ian play. Michael pulled the knife from her skull with a sickening schlik.

But just like that, Logan was alone again. It happened so quickly she barely even had time to react. She wriggled from the car frantically. She touched ground and made a break for it. She didn't bother running inside, where the pimply teenage boy and farmer had no idea of the horrors outside. The least she could do was try and spare them from it.

So, barefoot and soaked, she took off in a sprint down the endless road. She quickly wished she had tried to take the car. But she pushed the thought away. She ignored the pounding in her feet, the the tears that stung her eyes. She ran for Cathy, for Angel and Judith, she ran for Sheriff Andy, who's whereabouts we're still unknown. She ran for her sister and her parents, the cat she's always wanted.

The rain let up slightly as the time hit 11pm. If her imaginary theory was right, she had one more hour until she was dead.

🖤

Michael watched her run. He found himself mildly agitated at her insistence on fleeing. He looked down at his dead sister's with a gleeful look hiding beneath his mask. He had been waiting for so long to feel their blood upon his hands. There was only one more thing standing in his way, and she was disappearing into the rain.

He took little care kicking the bodies of his sisters away from the car. The keys were still in the ignition. He sat down in the driver's seat and closed the door. The time on the dash blinked 11:06 pm. He had one hour.

He pressed the gas, effortlessly swerving out of the parking lot in a surprisingly legal manner. He sped down the street, watching the sides of the empty highway closely for any movement. But as he sped along, he found nothing.

11:16. Still nothing. An empty highway in the middle of nowhere.

11:23. The rain had slowed and the night grew dark. But despite everything, nothing.

He slammed his hands on the steering wheel in anger. Beneath his mask grew hot as his breathing grew heavy with anguish. If he didn't find her- even if it wasn't before midnight- he wouldn't know what to do. He had done everything for her. Every single thing had been for her, and she was running from him. He was now contemplating keeping her alive. He now longed to bathe in her blood for her treachery. For her ignorance and for her fear. For every terrible emotion she felt towards him.

After all, she promised.

🖤
×~end~×