38.

38.

MONDAY MORNING, Jace was waiting for me outside my house. He leaned against his car, arms crossed and smile bright on his face as he typed on his phone. My phone buzzed in my pocket and I knew he was messaging me.

I ran down my porch and ambushed him before he could even look up.

I threw myself into his arms, tugging him close and squeezing my body against his. He laughed, swinging me as I grinned up at him.

"Good morning," I said, smiling.

"Good morning, princess," he said, pressing a kiss to my nose.

I snorted, rolling my eyes. "Really? Princess Jasmine? You couldn't think of anything more original?"

"What's wrong with Princess Jasmine? She was my first crush back when I was five."

I pouted. "You've had crushes other than me?"

"I didn't know you when I was five," he replied. I lifted a brow and he smiled, melting in my arms. "I mean... No. You were my first crush. Obviously."

"Even when you were five?"

"Yes. I saw you in a dream. It was prophetic, really."

I laughed, lifting onto my toes to kiss his lips properly, and he kissed me back slowly.

"I was just texting you," he murmured against my lips.

"I know," I said. "But I was busy."

"Jumping me?"

"Yes, jumping you. Now, less talking, more jumping." I kissed him again and this time, he leaned completely into it, pressing me against the door of his car.

His hands slipped over my back and shoulders before reaching my hair. I'd pulled it into a bun, too lazy to properly style it.

He tugged at it, pulling away to pepper kisses across my jaw and down my neck.

"I hate this," he muttered against skin. He nuzzled against my neck; his breath hot as it fanned down to my collarbones.

I hummed. "Well, if you've got a free hour to style it for me, be my guest."

Suddenly, he bit my neck, then pulled back to grin at me when I yelped.

"That's for being cheeky," he teased.

"You love it when I'm cheeky."

"I do."

I laughed, slipping out from his arms to walk towards the passenger seat. "We're going to be late for school if we keep this up, Jace."

"I can't help it," he replied, shrugging. "As much as I love Piper, it's nice to be alone for once."

I smiled to myself, silently agreeing. He must have texted Piper not to pick us up today because I'd woken up to a text from her along the lines of have fun, but not too much fun, followed by a thousand winking emojis.

I slipped into the car, strapping the seatbelt over my chest. It still scratched at my skin, and when the engine roared, my heart still jumped in my chest, but it was becoming easier. Day by day.

Jace's hand slipped easily into mine, squeezing my fingers as he began to pull the car out with the other hand. He chattered mindlessly, talking about all things from what he had for breakfast to how he dreaded his biology lab today.

His lips pulled at the corners as he spoke, his fingers tapping against the steering wheel. Music played quietly on the radio and my heart lurched. My chest felt full.