Chapter 1: A Day of Tragedy

"No, no, this can't be happening. Who or what would do such a thing!"

"I-I can't leave you here! I don't want to! I can't go on without you by my side!"

"Please don't die on me big brother! You're all that I have left!"

~1 day before~

"Just what do you think you're doing Touma?" I ask as I see my older brother heading out into the snowy morning. "What does it look like I'm doing?" he replied, "I'm heading down to the town to get some supplies." I sigh and shake my head, "With your leg in that condition? I don't think so!" "Since when did you become the older sibling?" He snarled. "Since you twisted your ankle, there's no way you're going to make it back here. You need to stay and rest." The snow crunched underneath my feet as I felt the cold wind blow against my face. I wrapped my dark purple haori around me as I saw my breath form a small cloud as I exhaled.

"Touma, there is no way that I'm letting you head to town, especially now with the weather like this." I said as I pulled him back inside our small home. "You're just like mother, you know that right? Always concerned about me. If anything, I should be looking out for you!" Touma rolled his eyes. "I know that," I said, annoyed. "But I also know that you need to rest your leg, it's too dangerous to climb up and down the mountain with an injury. I'm going into town today, and you're staying here, end of discussion." I wrap my father's scarf around my neck and carry a bamboo basket on my back to carry my purchases in. I head out the door and wave goodbye to my older brother. He waves back and smiles at me as I walk down the mountain to the village down below.

—————

As I arrive at the village, the streets are filled with people

As I arrive at the village, the streets are filled with people. Merchants selling whatever they can before the new year, children playing together, and couples holding hands. I smile as three children pass by me as they chase one another with bright smiles on their faces. It reminded me of when Touma and I were younger, we always chased each other around until sunset when we were called in for supper. I remembered my mother's beautiful smile, and my father making us laugh. Sadly, those memories were gone now. It had been almost two years since mother and father had went their separate ways. Mother had left the mountain and moved to the city, whereas we stayed with father here. But since mother left, he's began going out late at night and drinking. Most times he wouldn't come back for a few days, so Touma and I were left to care for the house and each other. It hasn't been easy, but we're happy. As long as we have each other, we'll do just fine.

With my basket filled with food, supplies, and more bandages for Touma's leg, I began to head back up the mountain. The sun was low in the sky, and people were beginning to head inside for the night. As I passed through the streets in the village, I heard a voice calling my name. "Y/N! Where are you going?" I turned and saw that the voice was Miss Hatsu. "Oh, I'm heading back home Ms Hatsu, I have to help my brother with his injury." I replied. "I don't think that is a good idea, especially with demons lurking around at night." she said with a stern look on her face. I walked up to her and asked, "What do you mean by demons Miss Hatsu?" "I think it's better if I tell you inside, dear." she answered as she led me inside and shut the door behind her.

—————

Inside, Miss Hatsu had prepared a meal for the two of us and we sat down to eat without saying much. "Miss Hatsu?" I asked. She looked up from her bowl of rice. "What was it you were going to say? About the demons, that is." She sighed as she placed her chopsticks down and stood up to close the curtains. "Demons are creatures that feed on human flesh, they are incredibly strong and can possess abilities that can make them even more powerful. They are mainly active at night because sunlight is deadly to them." My eyes widened as I listened to what Miss Hatsu was telling me. "You may have heard, but my husband did not die from falling off of our roof, he was killed by a demon. No one believed me because they thought that these demons simply didn't exist. But they do exist, and they won't hesitate to kill anyone they can find." She continues. "But if these demons are that dangerous, wouldn't they just eat everyone?" I question. "No," Miss Hatsu replied, "They won't get the chance to feast on anyone if a demon slayer is around, they are our protectors."

"I should know, because the day my husband was killed, a demon slayer had arrived before that monster was about to kill me. But he still managed to injure me pretty well." Miss Hatsu rolled up the sleeve of her kimono to reveal a long scar down the side of her arm. I gasped at the sight of it, I couldn't have imagined the pain she had gone through. "I managed to get away with just this scratch, but others aren't as lucky as I was." Miss Hatsu frowned. The room was silent for a moment until Miss Hatsu cleared her throat and led me to a small room. "You can sleep here tonight Y/N, I'll let you leave at first light tomorrow." I smiled at the old woman and replied, "Thank you Miss Hatsu, goodnight." She closed the door behind me as I settled into the futon. I hope Touma is alright. Hopefully his leg will be healed soon so that we can come to the village together. I then closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.

~the next morning~

"Thank you again, Miss Hatsu. I'll be going now!" I said as I bowed and began to head back home. "Wait." she called out. I turned back around to the old woman. "Yes, Miss Hatsu?" She dug into the pocket of her haori and pulled out what looked like a long piece of metal. Miss Hatsu reached for my hand, and placed the metal into my palm. Now that I had a better look of it, I noticed that the metal was covered in red crystals. "What is this?" I ask. I gripped the metal with my right hand and heard a click. A long, sharp blade appeared through both sides. Miss Hatsu grinned, "It was my mother's dagger, she had used it to protect herself from demons. And now, I'm passing it on to you." I stared at Miss Hatsu, and then looked back at the dagger in my hand. "A-Are you sure I can take this?" I stuttered. "Yes, I am certain. A young woman like you needs something to protect herself with." She replied. "Now, head home, your brother must be worried sick!" I smiled at her and bowed my head. "Thank you, I will treasure this gift." I walked into the forest outside the village as I waved goodbye to the old woman.

As the snow crunched under my shoes as I walked, I could see that a light snowfall was beginning. I looked up to the sky and saw a snowflake land on my nose. I laughed as I brushed it off. Nothing could have ruined this perfect moment.
Until I looked down, and saw a horrible sight. The pure white snow on the ground was covered in blood. Drops of blood had formed a path that ended at the door of my home. Fear engulfed me and I ran, following the trail of blood. I reached the foot of my house and stopped in my tracks. I saw my brother, covered in blood. My eyes began to fill up with tears as I dropped to my knees. What happened?! Touma, why are you bloody? I don't understand! "Touma, please! Open your eyes! It's me, your sister! What is going on?!" I cried as I held him in my arms. Tears were streaming down my face as I looked at my brother's face. Slowly, he opened his eyes. "Touma?" I spoke. "Y/N...you idiot...I told you...you should have let me...come with you..." he whispered. "It's okay, it's going to be okay. Tell me, what happened here?" I asked. "I...there was...a person with bloodshot eyes... but they...didn't look human." Then I remembered what Miss Hatsu told me, "Demons are creatures that feed on human flesh.." My brother, was attacked by a demon.

"You...have to go... before it...comes back." Touma mumbled. "What?! No! I-I can't leave you here, Touma! I don't want to! I couldn't live with myself if I left you here like this?!" I sobbed. "Sis...you have to...just know that...wherever you'll go... I'll find you. I...I love you..." I felt his body go limp and he began to feel cold. My eyes widened. "Touma? Touma?! Hey! Come on, talk to me! You can't die! Please! Big brother, don't go!"

His pulse, I can't feel it.

Touma...he's dead.

Hi! I really hope you liked the first chapter! I will be posting new chapters every Sunday or Monday! Just a quick heads up, these first 3 chapters will cover Y/N's two years in training. But anyways I wish y'all a nice day/night and I'll see ya next time! :)
-Emily*

Word count: 1641 words