(Updated) Chapter 1- New Girl in Town

Alright, take a deep breath. In.....Out..... Good.

Starring at the reflection in my bedroom mirror I try to calm my nerves.

I'm fine, everything is going to be fine. People start new schools everyday.

I spent hours last night questioning what I should wear today. I want to look nice of course, but not stand out too much either since a lot of attention makes me feel super uncomfortable. After going through my entire closest and the remaining boxes I still haven't unpacked in my room, I decided on a light pink floral romper with ruffle cap sleeves and shorts. It won't be warm enough to wear an outfit like this for much longer in Michigan so I figured I should take advantage of the summer like temps while I still can. To finish off the look I lightly curled my long strawberry blonde hair and pulled it half up with a light pink ribbon.

I'm not normally an early riser or one to fuss about my appearance so much in the morning but I couldn't sleep last night. There were too many anxious thoughts flooding my mind about today. By 5:30am I gave up, deciding that getting ready would at least be productive. Waking up early also means I've had way too long to overthink all of my worst fears going into my first day at a new high school in the middle of a brand new town where I don't know anyone. Gulp.

Let me back up. My family just moved to Romeo, a small town in Southeast Michigan, three weeks ago. The move came as a complete shock to me. My dad got transferred to help run a smaller branch here which is why we came. His company is based out of Chicago which is where we used to live. Now, we're in some small town that's in the middle of nowhere and reminds me a whole lot of "Stars Hollow." It's cute here, don't get me wrong, but I miss the hustle and bustle of living in a city of over two million people. The anonymity it gave me was oddly comforting. Based off the interactions we've had with our new neighbors since moving in, I get the feeling I won't get that luxury here. Romeo is small enough that everyone knows everyone and everything about each other.

Since the move I haven't ventured out much, mostly I've been sulking in my room watching "One tree Hill" reruns and eating junk food, missing my old life and friends. I did take a walk last night to try and clear my head. Main Street looks exactly like what you would imagine a quaint small town should look like. Each light post is decorated with colorful floral baskets, a giant banner advertising the upcoming 'Peach Festival' hangs over the main intersection and the local businesses all show school spirit with pictures of the Bulldog mascot in red and white.

"Morning" My mom greets me when I enter the kitchen.

"Morning" I mumble back.

Mom always tries to have an optimistic view about things, but even her gaze seems a little guilty this morning. She knows how hard it's been for me since we moved. I wouldn't call myself shy, but I'm definitely more of an introvert and have a hard time putting myself out there so having to start all over my Junior year of high school is basically my worst case scenario and she knows that. I may have been a *tiny bit* of a drama queen when my parents announced we were moving only two months ago. At first I yelled about anything and everything irrationally (not my best moment). Then I gave my parents the silent treatment the first two weeks after the move (again, not my best moments, I know). But don't worry, I've since gone through the stages of grief and am starting to accept that Romeo is my new home whether I like it or not. Last week I toned down my attitude and started talking to my parents again. To be honest, I didn't have much choice. They are the only two people here I have to talk to and it was getting lonely all by myself in my room everyday.

"Ready for your first day?" My mom finally asks after some silence.

"Ready as I'll ever be." The sarcasm is thick in my voice. I'm still working on the snarky remarks, I never said I was perfect.