Chapter 15

"Hey there." Mom smiles as Bryce and I walk into the kitchen.

"Hi," I say.

"You two doing anything tonight for the holiday?"

"Nope. The Fourth of July might as well be the fifth." I laugh.

Bryce and I thought about going to the waterfront to watch the fireworks but ultimately decided against it. The crowds wouldn't be worth it for a shitty view.

"Why don't you guys go out now then?"

"What do you mean?"

"Go do something fun."

"Like what?"

"Go out to breakfast, go walk the waterfront before it gets packed."

"Want to?" I ask Bryce.

"Sure. I actually haven't been to the waterfront yet."

"Really?"

"Really."

"Let's go." I grab my keys and lead him down the stairs. I slip on my black sandals while he puts his white sneakers on.

"Be home at three!" Mom calls.

"Why?"

"Because I said so."

"I've never had my curfew be three in the afternoon."

"Well, it is now."

"Why?"

"Because."

"Uh, okay." I open the front door and let Bryce out first. I follow him and close the door behind us.

We get in my black compact SUV and I'm still amazed Bryce can sit in it without hitting his head on the ceiling.

"What do we want for breakfast?" I ask.

"Pancakes?" he asks.

"Those are always a good idea."

"Where can we get good pancakes around a here? A diner?"

"The diners around here aren't great. There's a little cafe that's really good though."

"Sounds good, babe."

I try to ignore the butterflies in my stomach as I back out of the driveway and start driving up the street.

"Can I ask you something kind of personal?" Bryce asks.

My heart starts to race. "I guess."

"Have you given any more thought to meeting your dad?"

I let out a sigh.

Truthfully, I haven't thought about it. Not a single time. He stabbed my mother and murdered my unborn baby brother. Why would I want to meet him? Besides, I've gone seventeen years without a father, I don't need one now.

"No."

"I think you should think about it."

"Why?"

"I just think you should see him in person."

"Why do you care so much? You want to see someone's dad? Go visit yours."

"I can't, Alex. That's why I keep bugging you about it. My dad got my mom pregnant and left. No goodbye, no nothing, he just took off. She never heard from him again. I have to wonder every single day. You have the chance to not do that."

"I don't do that."

"But you will. One day, when it's too late, you're gonna wonder. I don't want you to have to live like that."