Chapter 60

Dear Amelia Hayes,

Congratulations! After discussion with the Young Writers of America, we would like to award you the first prize of...

I'm up and practically screaming before I can even finish reading the email. My body breaks out in a robotic dance as I shuffle across the floor. I'm attempting the moonwalk when my toe stubs against the edge of my bed and renders me motionless.

In slow motion, I fall onto the floor, my eyes closing due to the pain. Grasping onto the bed, I dramatically crawl back to my desk to reread the email.

Yes. It says congratulations. And I am Amelia Hayes.

You did it, bitch.

Holding my face in my hands, I try to control my smile but end up giving up after a short attempt. I guess my writing is decent after all. It doesn't hurt that there's a $1,500 cash prize.

I open up my notebook and add it to my financial calculations for next semester. It's been difficult to find a place within my budget near the school but this will help.

After taking a few minutes to celebrate on my own, I decide to pick up a cupcake for myself. There's a bakery that's walking distance with a caramel cupcake I've always wanted to try.

I pick up the cupcake and set it on a plate while turning on my favorite Korean drama to rewatch it for the tenth time. The main couple are just about to kiss for the first time when my phone rings, pausing the screen.

"No!" I cry out.

As I stare at my phone, I consider declining it but it keeps ringing. With a sigh, I pick up.

"Hello?"

"Amelia, where are you?" Mia asks, voice strained.

My heart drops immediately at her tone and I start to get up.

"I'm in my room. Are you okay?" I ask.

"Zack knows about what happened with Marcus."

I nearly drop my phone.

"What?" I ask, voice starting to quiver. "How?"

"I think Katy told him," she says. "I told her. I'm sorry."

"You told Katy?" I ask, trying not to raise my voice.

"I had to! You know she and I aren't close anymore but... she's been talking to Marcus. What if he tried to do something to her?"

I breathe, trying to clear my thoughts. "Where is he right now?"

"Marcus's friend's place. The one where they had the party. I'll text you the room number as soon as I get it." She breathes. "I'm on my way but you might need to go-"

"I'm on my way." I hang up the phone and slip on my shoes, sprinting out of the door.

A/N: 5 chapters left eeeee