17 | run it back

All I could do was stare at the soggy Caesar salad in front of me

All I could do was stare at the soggy Caesar salad in front of me. I pushed my fork against the brown-edge lettuce, attempting to conjure up an appetite to eat the meal in front of me. Even if I didn't enjoy it, I should at least try to put something on my stomach since I hadn't eaten that morning either. However food was the last thing on my mind.

"I've never known you to waste any food," said Keyon, in between stuffing his face with the jumbo fried shrimp on his plate.

I pushed my plate away, making my final decision to actually not eat the salad. I had only gotten it because it was the only healthy option on the menu and living with the Grahams had me gaining noticeable weight, but then I quickly realized - I hated salads. Between Keyon's shrimp basket and Jalisa's double bacon cheeseburger, my mouth actually began to adjust to the idea of eating something, lettuce not making the list of whatever that would be.

"I don't really have an appetite," I admitted, reaching for a piece of table bread and my knife to spread butter across, "This bread is all that though." I put another to the side as Jalisa added, "That it is."

Keyon snickered, mumbling something about Jalisa being a greedy ass, and then looked over to me, "Have you figured out your apartment situation yet?"

I stuffed the roll into my mouth. I didn't really want to talk about my future living arrangments, although the deadline to find a new place was coming quickly, too quickly for my liking. I had ran down a list of possible routes I could take, one being to ask Marley for an extended stay - but I technically wasn't family, and I definitely didn't want to wear out my welcome.

Another option could be to sale my building, collect the funds and be able to afford something outside of the areas I was forced to box myself into for a number of reasons. Actually one, money. Because honestly, there was nothing else holding me back.

"Not yet," I sighed, "Places are either too expensive or won't approve me because I haven't gotten paystubs from my new job since it's under the table." The good thing about that was no taxes, the bad thing - I didn't have any proof that I could afford a place.

Jalisa cocked her neck back, "Girl you can pay somebody to make you fake paystubs, you know how much shit I got in my name with a lil fake stub? Chile, please."

Keyon nodded in agreement, "Real shit, sis. Jalisa is right. Either that or I'll talk to Megan about letting you stay with us for a while. She won't mind."

"No, I don't want to ruin things between you and her." I shook my head at him, "And that paystub stuff sounds kind of risky."

I wasn't against going against the man in theoretical sense, I just knew that things always went right until I did them. People all over the world were scamming, but I, Kayla White would be the fool to get caught. I didn't need yet another thing coming in between me and a place I decided to call home, so I wanted to make sure I went about things the right way this time.