Chapter 1

song to play
If I Can't Have You — Shawn Mendes

song to play If I Can't Have You — Shawn Mendes

AURORA

"Aurora Marie Wilson, I swear to fucking g—"

"Fuck off!" I yell at the never-ending knocks that disturbed my snooze.

I hear the white double doors of my bedroom fly open. My blanket that covered my face is pulled down to reveal Jericho, my cousin, who was already dressed in his uniform. "A breakup is not a valid excuse for your absence in school, Roe." I only groan in reply.

"Aurora, that bastard's not worth you tears."

"Isn't that line a bit too overused?" I remarked, starting to open my eyes and adjust to the light seeping through my white curtains.

"No, but your sarcasm is." He retorted.

Although my cousin, Jericho Wilson, annoyed me to death, I knew he was only being protective. He and my older brother, Cameron, would always cherish me like I'm some sort of hidden treasure. When Cameron had to move to New York to handle a branch of our father's business, Jericho took it upon himself to fill in Cameron's share of protectiveness.

"Come on, Roe, Quinn Anderson is a sly dick and a breakup with him is not the end of the world."

I sat up begrudgingly and ran my fingers through my long brown locks. "Everyone probably knows."

"Well, your relationship with our school's rival's quarterback isn't so private. I doubt the breakup would be any different." He gives me a pitiful smile. "It's gonna be fine, Roe."

"If your definition of fine is people going into a gossip frenzy right as I walk past them," I pause and swing my legs off the bed. "Then sure, I'm positive it's all going to be okay."

"Roe, I—"

"I don't wanna talk about it, Jer." I cut him off. "I'll be in the shower."

I stood in the shower for about 20 minutes until I realized a detention for tardiness was not my preferred sprinkles on top of the cupcake. I put on Prescott's uniform that didn't hug my figure at all and my thigh high socks before wearing my black platform lace up boots. I stuff everything into my black Prada backpack and trudge downstairs to the dining room.

More than half of the long wooden dining table was empty with my father and Jericho seated at the very end. He looks up from his iPad and gives me an encouraging smile. "Good morning, sweetie."

"Good morning." I forced a smile, taking the seat across Jericho. One of the maids sets down a plate of two pieces of toast and three strips of bacon along with a mug of hot chocolate.

"I have a scheduled meeting with some business partners in an hour. I'll have Nicholas Anderson over and done with by tom-"

"Dad!" I protest with a sigh. "You will do no such thing!"

"I can have him and his bastard of a son wiped out of Versailles in a matter of minutes."

"I can't believe you actually told him!" I scolded Jericho who was sipping on his steaming coffee.

He sets his mug down. "I didn't, Roe. I swear!"

"That's because I did." A feminine voice enters the room. "Quinn deserves a beating from the mafia for all I care."

"Seriously, Roni?" I roll my eyes at her.

Veronica Mitchell has been my best friends since kindergarten. We both crushed over Pete Fisherman and his athletic abilities. This began a rivalry between us until he carried Amanda's lunchbox. Roni and I cried and ate our pudding cups together at the playground. Since then, we were inseparable.

No one would think we'd be compatible friends. She was an outgoing, outspoken blonde with the best fashion sense and boy advice. I, on the other hand, am soft-spoken, angelic (not my words) and reserved. I guess Veronica wasn't the only one who I wasn't compatible with.

I sigh leaves my lips. "I just don't want to be associated with him, please?"

"I will sink a dagger in his chest if he ever comes close to you." Veronica threatens.

"I highly doubt he will, V. He dumped me, remember?" I raised an eyebrow but this doesn't wipe the deathly glare she had.

Walking around the halls today was definitely a battle I struggled with. Everyone was either sympathetic or happy that I was suffering. I knew they were screaming "I told you so!" at me in their heads.

You see, Quinn Anderson was the quarterback of Marymount High, the rival of our school, Prescott Private. Both are two of the most prestigious and exclusive schools in the world. This rivalry went on for years even when Cameron was still a student in Prescott. Quinn pursuing me wasn't exactly everyone's cup of tea.

A lot of people gave me shit for dating the guy but how could I not? He had these hazel brown eyes and tanned, muscular built to go with it. His dirty blonde hair would be in this neat quiff even when he was in a football game. I fall for him quickly, to say it in simpler terms.

After a year, I was greeted with the most terrible news. I was going to surprise Quinn for our one-year anniversary last week only to open the door of his room, revealing the bastard with a half naked bimbo making out. So, I did what a normal girl would do when she finds out her boyfriend of a year is cheating on her.

I punched both of them in the face.

The girl, who I learned was a Marymount named Alicia, had a bleeding nose. Quinn, on the other hand, earned a bruised jaw. Later on, I found out that the only reason he dated me was to find out about Prescott's game plays for this year's championship.

"Oh, sorry, baby, I can't go. Rory and I are having a girls night."

I'm drawn out of my thoughts when I hear Veronica talk into her phone. "What is it?"

"Oh, Zac was just asking if I wanted to go to Evan Parker's party tonight." She explained, mumbling a small "I love you" into the phone before hanging up. "Don't worry, I already declined."

"Will there be alcohol?" I asked. She senses my idea and widens her eyes at me. "Rory, do not d—"

"We're going." I state before walking off to my next class.